Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Windows)

Mature
Written by  :  Lucas Schippers (59)
Written on  :  Dec 29, 2001

read more reviews by Lucas Schippers

Summary

A brilliant FPS that shows true attention to detail and mood-a rarity!

The Good

From the beginning, RTCW establishes itself as more than a mere throwaway FPS. It's dripping with detail and, even better, has a coherent, engaging narrative. You take on the same persona as in Wolfenstein 3D, a square-jawed, Nazi-stomping fellow who, like Gordon Freeman from Half Life, appears to have no discernible personality. You have access to a wide and endlessly cool assortment of weaponry, and each of them has its uses. I count this as a major design victory, since in many FPS entries I find myself relying on one or two weapons, while in this game you are forced to continually evaluate your strategy. RTCW also adds an element of stealth, in that you can creep on a sentry and backstab him for an instant kill. Very nice. Levels are meticulously detailed, with the fog-enshrouded crypts being particularly impressive. Enemy AI is consistently decent, and boss fights are difficult. All in all, this is not a game to pass up.

The Bad

There really is verry little not to like in RTCW. I suppose I could knock the save game menu for being slightly more unmanageable than necessary, but that may just be me, and it's a very minor quibble nonetheless.

The Bottom Line

It's everything that was cool in Wolf 3D (killing Nazis!), but brought up to the high bar subsequently set by Half Life. Pick this game up, and revel in the beauty of it all.