Roberta Williams' Phantasmagoria (Windows)

Mature
3.5
Written by  :  swaaye (34)
Written on  :  Feb 22, 2002

read more reviews by swaaye

Summary

A Campy Movie Adventure

The Good

I thought this game was a massive cornball. No really, that is good!

Phantasmagoria was one of the first true movie-based adventures. It tried to be a frightening, high budget computer horror adventure. Did it fail? It wasn't scary that's for sure. But, so what? It was a fun ride. Short, gory, technically impressive, and somewhat fun. Yeah, somewhat.

You can beat it in about 3 hours too, if you really try. So, if you hate it you can get comfort from knowing it'll be over really soon!

7 CDs. Wow. I think that's still an unbeaten record too.

The Bad

I thought the portrayal of the main character was pretty pathetic. I'm all for female heroines but why do they need to be portrayed as bimbo's without brains going braless? This was especially odd to me considering the writer of the story and major influence during development was a woman, Roberta Williams. I suppose the point was to make it sorta similar to all those bad C-level '70s and '80s horror flicks. Whatever.

The Bottom Line

An old-skool movie based adventure title which tries to fit with the campy hollywood-bimbo-chick-horror-movie-with-gory-nonsense theme. It's a fun time to whip through this in a night with some friends.