Runaway: A Road Adventure (Windows)

Written by  :  Depth Lord (943)
Written on  :  Mar 12, 2005

read more reviews by Depth Lord

Summary

One of the responsibles of adventure gaming comeback? I hope so.

The Good

I spent a lot of evenings playing that game and felt that I have fallen in a time portal or something, Runaway is what the adventure game purists have been waiting for. In a time where this genre seemed lost forever, the Spanish company Pendulo Studios brought us a 2D point and click commercial adventure game reminiscent of the most classic ones. It hasn't got any arcade sequences or any timed puzzles!

The graphics were good too, more or less updated to its time but keeping a "retro" feel.

I first hated a bit the main character Brian, for being so perfect in his own pedantic way and a bit dumb-arse in some occasions, but by the end of the adventure I felt some empathy for that poor guy, and I think that's a good work as the main character personality makes a good progress through the story. There were some charismatic characters too, the type of characters you would like to see again in a sequel.

The Bad

Well, I hate having to come with bad comments for that game, but we must face that Runaway has got some things that can bother the player in some moments.

I could say that the pixel-hunting is a pain, but that wasn't the most annoying thing I found, well people, it's like this: The plot it's predictable. In some moments of the game the plot reached such limits of silliness that I found myself hitting my forehead so hard that it could have been possible for my brains to expel out from the back of my head. I also felt that way when trying to solve some puzzles that could have some other really viable ways of being solved, but no, you must think and do things as the game designers would do.

The Bottom Line

The money I spent on the game was worth of it, Runaway feels like one of the old adventures from the 90s, a must buy for all adventure enthusiasts! I would finish with that line: The game has an 80% of good things and 20% of bad things. At the moment I'm writing this review there is a sequel to Runaway on the works, I hope they solve all the faults from the first game and give us an almost perfect adventure game that it's capable of reviving the adventure genre.