New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Secret Files: Tunguska (Windows)

Written by  :  Joakim Kihlman (270)
Written on  :  Sep 16, 2007

read more reviews by Joakim Kihlman

Summary

Is this what adventure gaming has come to?

The Good

Well, for starters, the premise of the game is promising. A missing scientist, who has been researching a strange phenomena, some weird bad guys and a general adventure/sci-fi feel to it all. The story carries some definite potential.

Also, the controls are simple and easy, just as they should be in these types of adventure games. Just point and click.

The Bad

Well, the story has potential, but that's it. The game never lives up the potential, and the story never leads anywhere interesting, but instead it gets stuck in a web of tired clichés and stupid puzzles. How about taping a phone to a cat to record a conversation? It's just too stupid for a "serious" adventure game. It might have worked in "Sam and Max", but not here.

The characters, especially the main character and her love interest, are so bland and boring I want to kill myself every time they open their mouths. There aren't a single interesting, funny, gripping or otherwise mildly entertaining character in the whole game. Even the bad guy bored my pants off. Furthermore, while the graphics might look good as still photos, it really looks "dead", especially when people move around. They look like stiffs, and the world they move around in does not, in any way, feel alive. This is in every aspect a "dead" game.

Speaking of the dead, the acting is probably the worst I've ever heard. Add some of the worst dialogue ever and you have an unbearable combination. The lines are retarded to begin with, but they become even worse with that extremely annoying actress in the main role. The rest of the cast are almost as bad, but it is a mystery as to why they chose the worst possible actress for the biggest part of the game. Then again, when you write dialogue and monologues such as these, you can't be expected to do a much better job at hiring a decent actress/actor to read the bloody crap.

The few attempts to humour are few and far between, but not far enough. All the jokes are unbelievably bad, and the actors have no comic timing whatsoever. More than often it sounds as they aren't even aware of what they are saying, what with all the strange intonations.

I hate this game, I truly do. It's made by hacks with no talent whatsoever in telling a compelling story. They should have hired a writer, as should most game developers attempting to tell a story. This ends here and now, no more of these endless, unbelievably badly written dialogues. I just can't take it anymore. It's much worse, even, than "Moment of silence", which also featured some really bad acting and a script from hell.

The Bottom Line

If you like clichés, bad acting, lousy dialogue and stale graphics, this is the game for you. But I know that you don't, so stay away from this utter garbage excuse for a game.