When aliens ruled by the evil Mental attack Earth, it is up to Sam "Serious" Stone, one of the toughest guys on Earth, to time-travel back to Ancient Egypt in order to change history by defeating Mental back in the ancient times. The First Encounter
tells about the first part of Sam's voyage through Egypt. Serious Sam: The First Encounter
is a high-adrenaline first-person shooter heavily focused on frantic arcade-style single player action. The game goes "back to roots" of the first-person shooter genre; it does not feature intricate story, character interaction or the need for careful tactics which were becoming common in the FPS's of its time, instead concentrating on epic battles where the player, armed with powerful weaponry, takes on tens or even hundreds of enemies at once.
Sam travels through deserts, Egyptian temples, palaces and cities, killing countless enemies and occasionally stopping to solve a more or less easy puzzle. There are many weapons to be found; they are all classic FPP armaments - shotguns, chainguns, rocket launchers etc., up to the most powerful weapon: a cannon which shoots devastating cannonballs. There are also many pick-ups, of course, containing ammo, health and armor.
The enemies come in many varieties - headless suicide bombers, giant bio-mechanical creatures that shoot missiles, scorpions with chainguns, bulls that charge at Sam, etc. There are also a couple of powerful bosses.
Sam has a mini-computer which contains basic info about the levels he's travelling through, weapons he collects and enemies he kills.
- "Крутой Сэм: Первая Кровь" -- Russian spelling
- "Serious Sam: המפגש הראשון" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Serious Sam: Premier contact" -- French title
- "Serious Sam: Pierwsze Starcie" -- Polish title
- "Serious Sam: O Primeiro Confronto" -- Brazilian title
- "Serious Sam Classic: The First Encounter" -- Steam title
- "Serious Sam: 1st Encounter" -- Informal title
- "Krutoj Sam: Pervaja Krov'" -- Russian title
- "シリアスサム ファーストエンカウンター" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
There are currently no topics for this game.
Some of the most famous Serious Sam
players (who even appear in the game's credits) got the complete game only several months after its release, and constantly played the same demo level while others had the full version.
The first Serious Sam
demo was a technology demo for the Serious Engine by Croteam, not a demo for a game in particular. The folks at the Old Man Murray website praised the game so much that eventually the guys at the Gathering of Developers got wind of it and sponsored a complete, full game based around the demo.
The final level music (before the boss) is a strange heavy metal remix of the famous Phantom of the Opera
Sam's red sneakers may be a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog
- the speed power-up that pictures them with wings all but cinches it.
was the first game to implement ATI's TrueForm graphics technology.
Information also contributed by
Ola Sverre Bauge and
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2002 (Issue #213) – Best Enemies of the Year (for the headless soldiers)
- 2001 – Best Value Priced Game of the Year
- 2001 – Best End Boss of the Year
This entry to the MobyGames database was contributed by Cromaa (511)
on Mar 28, 2001.