Forums > Game Forums > Shadow Warrior > Intro & Cutscenes?

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/7/2010 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys, I'm playing this game and, beside a short FMV depicting Lo Wang swinging his sword, there seems to be no intro, the game starts right with the action... also, I've played the shareware part (4 levels), and there are no cutscenes of any kind.

Is something wrong with my copy of the game? Does anyone remember any intros/cutscenes/etc. from this game?

Thanks in advance!

formercontrib (157526) on 5/7/2010 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Many years gone since i last played it .... but as far as i remember, there was no cutscene or intro, as you said it starts directly with the action, think that's normal.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/7/2010 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, Blood came out earlier and it had real movies, with story development and such... Duke Nukem 3D also had some cutscenes... and at least a text intro for the story shown through the Help option... SW appears to have nothing at all.

formercontrib (157526) on 5/7/2010 7:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember that after the logo came a short laugh and then the Shadow Warrior himself i think (or an announcer) spoke 2 shorts sentences, can't remember what exactly that was, the same time the starting options / level choose came in ... but i'm afraid, there was not much more...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 5/7/2010 7:26 PM · Permalink · Report

One might charitably say that the story is not really what this game is about 8)

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/7/2010 9:27 PM · Permalink · Report

LOL

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/7/2010 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope, nothing of the sort. There's a short setup in the readme that a few of Wang's pre-boss comments will reference, but that's about it. No CG.

formercontrib (157526) on 5/7/2010 9:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

If there's something than it's hidden in the....SHADOW !

Looking forward to Unicorn's review - will he devaluate his overall scoring for the game because of that...

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/8/2010 3:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Looking forward to Unicorn's review - will he devaluate his overall scoring for the game because of that...

I certainly will. Blood had CG cutscenes, I don't understand why SW doesn't have them.

I'm still not sure how I will rate the game, gotta play more. It has great elements along with some.. err... "meh factors".

formercontrib (157526) on 5/8/2010 11:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Looking forward to Unicorn's review - will he devaluate his overall scoring for the game because of that...

I certainly will. Blood had CG cutscenes, I don't understand why SW doesn't have them.

I'm still not sure how I will rate the game, gotta play more. It has great elements along with some.. err... "meh factors". [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Beware of Shadow Warrior's bloodthirsty revenge!

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/9/2010 5:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Read your review. So there were CG scenes after all? Was this Master Leep story deal CG?

Been a long time since I've played it :P

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/9/2010 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

So there were CG scenes after all?

I'm not sure what they were, they looked like in-game graphics recorded as a video, something like that. There was one in the end of the shareware version (after the snake boss), and another one in the middle of the full version. Not very impressive, no comparison to Blood.

Still a great game, though. Very, very fun :)

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/8/2010 3:45 AM · Permalink · Report

If that is so, then how am I supposed to know what is the story? I read everywhere about the background story, yet in the game itself, there is none...

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/8/2010 3:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

From the readme. But Shadow Warrior really does skimp on the story. You're fighting your former employer, the Zilla Corporation, because you discover that they're trying to take over the world. The readme ends with Zilla sending assassins after Wang, and the first level is said assassins breaking into the dojo with the "Zilla sends his regards!" message.

....aaaaaand as far as I know, that's it for the story. Why are you going to all these different areas? You're chasing Zilla! Gotta get him!

Remember that SW's release was significantly delayed, and ended up coming out post-Quake when it was already "obsolete." They had multiple add-on packs (same as with Blood and Duke) lined up that they axed. My guess is that CG was planned but dropped to save costs toward release. Really, my impression is if the game itself had been less complete they would have just scrapped it altogether rather than try to go up against Quake.

But hey, it does have soapy naked anime girls.

vedder (70685) on 5/8/2010 11:26 AM · Permalink · Report

And Lara Croft in bondage...