Not an American user?
DescriptionSherlock Holmes and his loyal sidekick Dr. Watson have been invited to a reception in Sherringford Hall. The wealthy industrial Sir Bromsby wants to commemorate the return of his daughter to England. As the host climbs the stage and starts to deliver his welcome speech, he is shot. Suspicion is immediately drawn towards his daughter, but Holmes decides to thoroughly investigate the case.
Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring is a third-person point-and-click adventure set in 19th century England. Players control both Holmes and Watson, interrogating witnesses and suspects, and searching for material clues and evidence. Basic inventory equipment are a test tube, a tape measure and a magnifying glass, all of which can be used to examine the environment and other objects found. A few times in the game the player is taken to Holmes' lab desk, to analyze some substances or tissues.
Notes of all findings and conversations are automatically written down in a diary for future reference. At the end of each of the five days the game is divided in, a quiz has to be filled in correctly to progress.
- "银耳环疑案" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Шерлок Холмс: Загадка серебряной сережки" -- Russian spelling
- "Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring" -- Wii title
- "Sherlock Holmes: Případ stříbrné naušnice" -- Czech title
- "Sherlock Holmes: L’Orecchino d’Argento" -- Italian title
- "Sherlock Holmes i tajemnica srebrnego kolczyka" -- Polish title
- "Sherlock Holmes: El Pendiente de Plata" -- Spanish title
- "Sherlock Holmes: Case of Sherringford Hall" -- Working title
- "Les Aventures de Sherlock Holmes : la Boucle d'Argent" -- French title
- "Das Geheimnis des silbernen Ohrrings" -- German title
- "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring" -- UK title
Part of the Following Groups
- Fictional character: Sherlock Holmes
- Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes series
- Inspiration: Literature
- Setting: Belle Époque
- Setting: Indian
|“Really, Holmes. You go too far!”||Jeanne (75627)|
|Another curious incident in the night-time||Terrence Bosky (5237)|
The Press Says
|Adventurearchiv||Sep 08, 2004||88 out of 100||88|
|neXGam||2004||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Playback||2006||8 out of 10||80|
|Adventure Corner||Nov 25, 2004||79 out of 100||79|
|Just Adventure||Sep 17, 2004||B||75|
|Game Chronicles||Jan 18, 2005||7 out of 10||70|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Oct 19, 2004||13 out of 20||65|
|UHS (Universal Hint System)||Jan 20, 2005||50|
|Joystick (French)||Nov, 2004||4 out of 10||40|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Waston and the Books||1||sheena alexander
Jan 02, 2010
NovelThe end credits note that the game was based on a novel by Jalil Amr. This doesn't refer to a published novel, but to something along the lines of fanfiction. Emailing Frogwares for more information about it, would result in a reply from the company's CEO Waël Amr stating: "The author wishes the novel not to be public and anyway it’s in French!"
ReferencesMuch of the game takes place at Sherringford Hall. Sherringford Hope (or Holmes) and Ormond Sacker were Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original name choices for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John (or James) Watson.
Related Web Sites
- Adventures of Sherlock Holmes "The Silver Earring" -- Frogwares' official game page
- Case of the Silver Earring -- Official web site
- Hints for Silver Earring -- If you're having trouble with the puzzles or situations in this game, this file might help you solve them. It gives you subtle hints before final solutions are revealed in a question and answer format.
- MaGtRo's Walkthrough -- hosted on Gameboomers.com
Jeanne (75627) added Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring (Windows) on Sep 02, 2004
Other platforms contributed by Nury (798)
Based on the Novel written by:
Sherlock Holmes, Doctor John H. Watson, Inspector Lestrade from Scotland Yard, Sir Melvyn Bromsby, Lavinia Bromsby, Hermann GrimblePresident:
Ivan Osadchyj, Bogdan Gursky, Vadim Chirenko, Vladimir Efimov, Alexandre Andreev, Maxim Scherbakov, Ruslan Gabdrahmanov