Shivers (Windows)

Written by  :  1gnition (287)
Written on  :  Jun 10, 2006

read more reviews by 1gnition

Summary

A Masterpiece!

The Good

Shivers is a brilliant game. I was really honored to play this game, as this game is really rare and uncommon, so what are the chances to come across this kind of game in Israel?

First of all, this game is so intelligent and intriguing! The puzzles are really unique and original, the kind you have to spend hours on solving. Besides the progress you make by solving them, when you're done, the feeling is so rewarding, it's just great.

The pre-rendered MYST-like graphics and overall atmosphere is fantastic. Turn off the lights in your room and immerse into this game. The graphics are so authentic and the museum looks so mysterious and creepy that you feel like you're drawn into it.

The music - This category is a really strong one on Shivers. This is one of the games with the most unique and brilliant music I have encountered. The music accompanies every step in the game. There is no place or section of the museum without music. You will hear in this game music pieces from Cello Partita by Bach to modern psychedelic masterpiece. The music serves the moment fabulously, it corresponds the atmosphere perfectly.

Creepiness - Well, this game is creepy, I must admit. The effect of the deserted museum and the lurking Ixupi (those spirits haunting the museum) really had it on me. I've found myself startled more then once in this game.

The puzzles are really diversified. You can find in the game puzzles involving music, mazes, ancient games such as "Marble Solitaire", picture assembling and etc. The common about them all that they are devilishly hard.

The Bad

Shivers, in my opinion, is nearly perfect. I can't say anything bad about it. I can only emphasize that this game is hard. If you don't like puzzle games, or don't have patience, there is nothing for you in this game.

The Bottom Line

Shivers is an outstanding game in the sub-genre of puzzle games that followed "Myst" and I can easily refer to it as a "milestone" in the Adventure games scenery in all times. As Myst fan, I think it is a shame that Shivers did not have a success similar to Myst's. Although it is hard to obtain similar achievement, I think it could have been possible, maybe with larger publicity back then. I just know that anyone who played this game loved it.

A true masterpiece.