New Milestone: Over 50,000 unique games documented! 94,818 including all platform releases.

Sid Meier's Civilization II (Windows)

Written by  :  AstroNerdBoy (40)
Written on  :  Jan 10, 2002

read more reviews by AstroNerdBoy

Summary

A Good Strategy Game

The Good

The game is very engrossing and entertaining. I liked the fact that you have total control over everything (except when the peasants are in a revolting mood). Learning to play the game is pretty simple however it does take a while to learn the best strategies for improving your score at the end. For those who like to cheat, the game provides those at the click of a mouse. I like to use the cheats to maximize myself whenever some other civ has all but beaten me (and I'm down to one city). Heh!heh! I hate to lose and this way you never do.

The Bad

At times I had trouble getting a round (turn) to end. The game would act like I still had a move to make (and maybe I did but I wanted to proceed) and wouldn't go to the next round. Also at times having another civ's unit in your area (whom you were not at war with) would block you from moving. That could get real annoying!

The Bottom Line

This is an excellent turn-based strategy game. Plenty of replay value with so many different civilizations that can appear when starting a new game. Also the land can change by random generation if you are tired of the pre-drawn maps.