New Milestone: Over 50,000 unique games documented! 94,818 including all platform releases.

Sid Meier's Civilization II (Windows)

Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1092)
Written on  :  Dec 29, 2000

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

The best Pc Game ever made. Hands down

The Good

First of all I had played and loved Civ I. I thought no game would ever replace it as my favorite game of all time. So when I bought the second installment I doubted that Civ II had what it took. At first I was right. It was hard for me to give up the old Civ for the new graphics and design. I looked for any excuse to put this game down (3d isn't the same, its hard to learn ect) But this game had so much to offer. After a month I would never play the orginal again. If I had to put my finger on the one thing that made this game better it had to be the unit editor. To be able to create my own units and built Airbourne and B-52's WOW WOW WOW.

The Bad

In some ways Civ II added so much, but in others it didn't. Really the game is not that much different from Civ I in the way the game progresses. You could say that Civ II is just an update with some more units and better graphics. However I think that would be a little unfair. Overall the game has few flaws other than a bug with music. Me and my friend both had trouble getting music to play at times. (Sometimes If I uninstalled Civ II and then reinstalled it later the music would not work.)

The Bottom Line

I have been playing PC games for a very long time. I have also played more games than the average hard core gamer. Right now I have over 200 game cd's (not burned) and there is not many that I have not beat. After 15 years of gaming on Pc's, Nintendo's, Sega's, Atari's, and others THIS IS THE BEST OF ALL OF THEM. Take it from me it doesn't get any better than this. WSM