The discovery of Fascism is accompanied by a quote from Adolf Hitler:
"The great masses of the people… will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one."
The German version maintains the quote but attributes it to "a German dictator" rather than citing Hitler's name.
The introductory sequence of Civilization
has been remastered in Civilization IV
and plays whenever you start loading a new map. Live orchestra samples have been used to bring the original theme to life and Leonard Nimoy
(famous for his role as Mr. Spock in "Star Trek
") narrates this sequence (along with other segments of the game).
- Just as Sid Meier's Pirates! reused some voice and music samples from Civilization III, one particular piece of instrumental music has been recycled in Civ IV. It can be heard when a Great Artist is used to create a Great Work in a city.
- The main theme for Civilization IV is in fact a choral version of the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.
Due to a assembly error, French tech tree posters have snuck into some of the North American Civilization IV boxes. Owners of a flawed version can fill in a form
online to get an English version sent by mail. 2K Games has also made available a downloadble PDF version on its website.
- In a parody of Nimroy providing voice talent, some leaders will respond to a proclamation of peace with, "May we all live long and prosper."
- At the end of the game, players are rated based on their performance by a comparison to one of 10 world leaders. The lowest rating compares the player to former US Vice-President Dan Quayle, who is legendary for mistaken expressions such as "If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure", "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is" and "Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here."
The Spanish release has a translation error, the Religion Civic "Organized Religion" says "Can build missionaries without monastery" and it's translated as "No se pueden contruir misioneros sin un monasterio", which is exactly the opposite.
Information also contributed by
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2006 - #1 Game of the Year 2005
- 2005 – Game of the Year
- 2005 – PC Game of the Year
- 2005 – PC Turn-Based Strategy Game of the Year
- 2005 – PC Strategy Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2005 – #5 Online Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2011 – #5 Top PC Game of the 2000s
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 02/2006 - #1 Strategy Game in 2005
- Issue 04/2006 - #2 Strategy Game in 2005 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/2006 - #5 Best Game in 2005