Sid Meier's Pirates! (Windows)

Written by  :  Arejarn (608)
Written on  :  Feb 27, 2009

read more reviews by Arejarn

Summary

Memorable, addictive, fun.. I love it

The Good

Since I never knew what Sid Meier's games were like, I didn't know what to expect from this. What i received, was an experience that I had never seen before!

This has to be one of the most original games I have ever played; because it gives you a full simulation in what a pirate's life is like. It also puts in elements that you wouldn't even think of when making a game about the sea and yet, Sid Meier pulls it off pretty well.

Now the plot of the game is quite simple; you(as a young boy), end up with your family getting kidnapped by the horrible Marquis de la montalban. You manage to escape and ever since, you wish to defeat him and bring your family back. 10 years later, the new you starts the great journey on your own.

The game offers great graphics, wonderful music and several enjoyable mini-games that mostly involve the basics of being a pirate. You get to plunder ships and villages, defeat famous pirate mercenaries(including Blackbeard) and you also get to steal the hearts of the governors' daughters in the many different villages. The PERFECT simulation.

The Bad

What I didn't like was the fact that this game is extremely repetitive! The same characters say the same things and sometimes, do the same things too. For example, you have to keep on attacking the same man named Baron Raymondo just in order to get more information where your family members are.

The game can also be really unfair on you; at one point i was fighting against another ship with the same the same size and i was fighting with 58 people in my crew. When i finally started to hijack the ship, only of my crew decided to fight. Undoubtedly, i lost in this bit.

There thankfully isn't much else to complain about the game.

The Bottom Line

Sid Meier's Pirates is a wonderful title that you should consider getting. Not only is it worth your money, it is also worth your precious time as well.

A lot of games should be made like this, because this one in particular, has qualities in which i had never seen before. And that is why this game is one of my favourites!