SimCity 3000 (Windows)

Everyone
Written by  :  ZombieDepot (45)
Written on  :  Jul 15, 2001

read more reviews by ZombieDepot

Summary

It's SimCity 2000 with better graphics and some added features.

The Good

One thing I enjoyed the most about SimCity 3000 is the extra emphasis on the advisors (in SimCity 2000 they were pretty much useless), which gave the game more of a political atmosphere. They've also thrown in petitioners who want ordinances enacted, buildings removed, and various other things. I loved how Maxis revamped the graphics and music (you might hear a few tracks from SimCity 2000 that you'll recognize). The graphics look a great amount smoother than in SC2K, the music is no longer in the MIDI format it's digital CD music. You can even see details on cars in your city and see people walking on the sidewalks.

Besides the political part, they've added a few new features which includes landfills, making deals with other cities, and adding famous landmarks to your city. The landfill part becomes a hassle sometimes, but it adds more realism to being mayor. If your cashflow runs low you can always accept a deal from another city to sell them electricity, water, or take some of their garbage. Want to recreate some of the world's most famous cities? Maxis gives you a whole assortment of landmarks so you can.

They have also improved the interface so it seems more user friendly to people who have never gotten into the SimCity series. Those who are old SimCity 2000 users will like the SC2K city import feature. However, you'll have to put in landfills and get you city prepared for the world of SimCity 3000.

The Bad

To start, this game is pretty hard to play (legitimately), even on easy. I had a hard time adapting to it, expecting the gameplay to be exactly like SC2K. Throughout the earlier stages of your city, you'll be wanting to look up cheat codes. Maxis cut down on the disasters; you have tornados, aliens, fires, and others. They completely removed the flood disaster from this game, unless I overlooked it. They removed the Newspaper and replaced it with a scrolling ticker. You find out problems in your city, and hear Maxis' puns and jokes as well.

I had a hard time replaying the game, I seemed to go through the same exact steps as my previous city, just had a different terrain. The amount of complaints you receive from neighboring cities, protesters, advisors, etc. seems overbearing sometimes. I'd rather have some sort of "Inbox" instead of having to watch the ticker all the time. Another thing is that your SC3K cities aren't compatible with some Maxis titles such as SimCopter and Streets of SimCity (I haven't tested that myself, yet).

The Bottom Line

The game has many similarities to SimCity 2000, but many differences. Some of them disappointed me, but others may love them. It won't be added to my favorites, but it's a very fun game.