Space Empires V (Windows)

2.1
Written by  :  D H (3)
Written on  :  Dec 27, 2008

read more reviews by D H

Summary

Complete Junk

The Good

I bought it because of the hype. It is related to Space Empires IV.

The Bad

It does not work. You cannot play it without a fan made mod. It came out in 2006. I bought it when it came out. It is still being patched. The latest patch, version 1.77, came out on December 23, 2008. It cannot be played for more than a few hours total because of crashing even with fan made mods and a galaxy with no more than 20 star systems. It will last about 30 minutes longer if you do not use diplomacy. Diplomatic relations, treaties, alliances, all that good stuff just do not work and make it crash faster. It is not 3d. The ship models themselves are 3d but the game renders them and everything else like sprites. Compared to pc games that are 3d from ten years ago this game is not 3d. I have always attempted to play it on the 3d setting. I attempted to play it on a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.89 Ghz computer with XP Home SP2 and SP3 and with Vista Home premium, all 32-bit. 3 Gigs of RAM, 2 Gigs as far as the OS's are concerned. Nvidia 8800GT and Nvidia 9600GTX graphic cards with a 650 watt power supply.

The Bottom Line

This is not a game. This is complete junk. Get Space Empires IV if you want this. If you have Space Empires IV then don't get this. You will be massively disappointed. I have finally donated the cd, box, and manual to a garbage can.