1001 Video Games
appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
by General Editor Tony Mott.
The game's SecuROM DRM system limits users to three activations per purchase. Additional activation needs to be enabled by calling customer support. Unannounced, this was soon extended to five activations and officially confirmed on 19th September 2008. On that same day, further changes to the DRM management were also announced:
- Channels to request additional activations.
- A tool to de-authorize machines and move authorizations to new machines.
On April 30, 2009, it was announced that the 100,000,000 creature was created and catalogued in the Sporepedia.
- One of the main goals of the game is to discover what is in the centre of the galaxy once you reach the Space Stage. Doing so will give you an achievement that is named "42", an obvious reference to "The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything" from Douglas Adams' famous book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- When trading with other worlds, the theme of M.U.L.E can be heard sometimes. Players can even use it in their own adventures if they have Spore: Galactic Adventures.
Information also contributed by
Big John WV,
Rambutaan and VVP
- 2008 – #10 PC Game of the Year
- 2016 - #8 in the Top 10 Creation Video Games video