Spycraft: The Great Game (Windows)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Mar 07, 2000
Rating  :  4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars

read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

A truly great spy game...

The Good

I like this game a lot.

Personally, I have been a fan of espionage for quite a while. Being interested in WWII counter-intelligence up to today's high-tech spy gadgets helped me like this game.

Sure, it's all simulated. But this game immerses you into it's atmosphere, making you feel like you are actually using the equipment. Considering it's all on 3 CD's, it's a pretty good game.

Graphics are par for the course considering the age of the game. But all the interaction is pretty straight-forward and the acting is pretty good. A plus is that the Former Directors of both the CIA and KGB portray themselves in the game. It adds that touch of realism to the game.

Sound is pretty neat. Background music is good, but sound is used in things like voice identification. Kinda cool trying to match up voiceprints.

Gameplay is much like a FMV movie but with a lot more interaction. Again, the use of real-life spy gadgets adds the realism. Another bonus is that some of the game's sequences change when you play over. So it's not quite the same game twice.

The Bad

Unfortunately, when I picked this game up, Activision had already taken down it's internet companion to this game. It's a shame that they did, because I think that it was probably a cool feature.

The Bottom Line

A great FMV-style spygame. A rare find (in my opinion) and worth the money you shell out for it.