Star Trek: Starfleet Command (Windows)

Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Jul 18, 2001
read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

Great mission editor but poor campaign mode.

The Good

Starfleet Command has great graphics (especially during starship explosions) and a wonderful mission editor. Sound is decent and it really does feel like the Star Trek universe. (Unlike other games)

The campaign mode is just ok. I like it but I will talk about its faults later.

One Starfleet's strengths is the multi-race ability. Once you get bored with playing Starfleet, there is Gorn, Romulan, and many others.

The Bad

Well first of all the campaign mode is totally uninspired. its way too short and way to scripted. It seems that no matter what sector you are in you gets the same type of missions. So other than the possibility of upgrading officers and ships there would be no reason to leave your sector. Plus there just wasn’t enough gameplay in the campaign mode. You have a short section on Orion pirates and then one with the "mirror - mirror" episodes and that's it! Overall the mission difficulty wasn’t the problem, the content was.

Without the mission editor I would probably never play the game again. Thanks to a versatile and fun editor I can enjoy this title. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the campaign missions its just that if this was all I had then I would have been ticked.

Next time they need more flexibility in the game, and deeper (or original) missions

The Bottom Line

Don’t get too excited about the campaign mode before you start and maybe the let down won't be too bad. It would have helped me.