Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal (Windows)

Written by  :  Matthew Bailey (1143)
Written on  :  Jul 25, 2009
Rating  :  3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars

read more reviews by Matthew Bailey

Summary

Good but didn't shiver me timbers

The Good

After a very long wait Monkey Island is finally back on our shores. Now I have to admit Ive been quite a big fan of Telltale's episodic adventures and this is one of their best yet. Some of the puzzles are classic monkey island and the sound puzzle is particularly good. Nice to finally see Monkey Island back.

The Bad

One of my biggest problems is the fact Telltale have used the same engine as they did for the Sam and Max games. Monkey Island should be 2D and hand drawn. I wish this series looked more like the Original remake rather than the way it does. Also I kinda want a proper HUD. Monkey Island needs a shot in the arm... by which i mean it needs to take about 10 steps back and do what it did all those years ago... but with better graphics. Its a good game and a good start to a new series but it could have been one of the best things to hit these shores in years.

The Bottom Line

Standard adventure game episodic affair from Telltale similar in style and execution to their other recent series such as Sam and Max and Bones.