Thief II: The Metal Age (Windows)

Mature
Written by  :  Jeremy Johnson (639)
Written on  :  Jul 12, 2001
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars

read more reviews by Jeremy Johnson

Summary

Thief II : Is it better then the beer-coke/pepsi-pizza combo? Yep.

The Good

Everything. First off, the in-game color is now in full 16-bit splendor, with colored lighting improving graphical quality substantially. The 3D models for the various people you'll encounter have improved a great deal as well, due to an increase in polygons used with their models. Also, instead of the slow, gradual plot of the first game (which was excellent, mind you), the new plot, while still being gradual, moves along at faster clip, and it still is just as good, perhaps better in some ways, in comparison to the plot of Thief I.

The audio for Thief II is also much improved, as sounds (well, some of them at least) play at CD quality (44.1khz) now and better sound propagation in general is evident (you can even listen through doors if you lean up against them). As far as voice acting, it's as top-notch as in the first game of the series, with both the in-game voices and cutscene acting being excellent. Also, on a final note, the major cutscenes are extremely well produced, and still have an quality unique the Thief series.

The Bad

Now that I've beat it, I have to wait at least a year for Thief III (it's 11-July-2001 on the clock right now as I write this) to be on shelves for more thieving fun in The City. Oh, wait, I forgot about the fan missions...

Well, scratch that...not significant complaints with Thief II then.

The Bottom Line

Get Thief II as soon as possible. It's probably no more than $30US in a store right now, and it's more than worth the money you'll spend for it.