Thief: The Dark Project (Windows)

Mature
Written by  :  Thohan (19)
Written on  :  Oct 01, 2003
read more reviews by Thohan

Summary

Best...Game...Ever!

The Good

Where do I start? This game spawned a new genre: The Sneak. I can't tell you how much pleasure I get from skulking around, unseen, from darkness to darkness. I guess it mirrors some of my real-life social anxieties. If only real life provided this many ways to hide. I need a light meter.

The scenery and the level design is terrific. It is a bit convoluted at times, but never a "maze". Once you get oriented you can find your way around. The cut scenes are probably the best of any game. Spooky! Creepy! You'll scream like a little girl once a hovering fireball fries you or the flatus of a bugbeast consumes you. And Garrett is cool, great voice talent, perfect attitude.

Awesome dialogue from NPCs. "Snap, snap, puppy."

The Bad

The people/creature models seem to be made of two polygons that converge in the center of their face. They're funny looking. I don't mind, I think it's hilarious. I got lost in a few places. After playing several times, I got the hang of it and enjoyed trying to find all the loot on a level. I still haven't found all the loot on some of the levels. It's hidden well. This isn't a complaint, though. It gives the game some extra re-playability. Also, my son was watching me play this when a giant spider jumped on my head and killed me. He started hyperventilating and crying. I nearly did myself. So this isn't for kids.

The Bottom Line

It's a spooky FPS (First-Person Sneaker). You use weapons sparingly and strategically. The thinking person's 3D adventure. This game is as good now as it was then. It's timeless.