TOCA 2: Touring Car Challenge (Windows)

3.5
Written by  :  Steve Hall (322)
Written on  :  Aug 26, 2000
Rating  :  3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars

read more reviews by Steve Hall

Summary

A great racing sim - let down by it's stupid arcade-type nature.

The Good

It's a great Touring Car sim. The graphics and sound are great, and with a wheel it drives really well. A little easier to get to grips with than Grand Prix sims, and quite fun to play. However...

The Bad

What really annoyus me is this stupid rule that says you must score a certain number of points in each race session to progress to the next race. I hate this. It's supposed to be a simulation, so if I have a bad race and don't score any points, I should be able to continue anyway with a need to do better next time.

Also, there's this pitstop rule where you have to stop twice in a feature race, even if you don't want to. If you don't pit, you get disqualified. Fine. But it's very easy to drive into the pits, and for it not to count. There's nothing worse than driving a stunning race, then finding out you're disqualified because the computer forgot to count one of your pitstops.

This game annoyed me so much, I took it back to the store and asked for my money back.

The Bottom Line

If your looking for a real Touring Car sim, forget it.