Not an American user?
DescriptionThe Dagger of Xian is a legendary weapon that was used by Chinese emperors to command their armies. It is said that a person can turn into a dragon by piercing his own heart with this dagger. When one of the emperors used it for that purpose, Tibetan monks manage to withdraw the dagger from his heart and return it to its resting place on the Great Wall. While investigating the legend, the archaeologist Lara Croft finds out that a powerful Venetian crime lord is hunting for the dagger, and must do everything in her power to prevent him from obtaining it.
Tomb Raider II is an action game with platforming and puzzle-solving elements, similar in concept and gameplay to its predecessor. Most of the gameplay consists of traversing hazardous 3D levels utilizing Lara's athletic skills and solving environmental puzzles. The sequel puts more emphasis on fighting enemies, adding many human foes to the mix. Additional weapons include a harpoon gun, a grenade launcher, and an M16 rifle. Automatic pistols replace the magnums from the first game.
There are two vehicles the player can drive in the game: a motorboat in Venice and a snow scooter in Tibet. Lara can now climb ladders and perform a roll in the air, landing in an opposite direction. The sequel also allows the player to save the game anywhere.
- "古墓奇兵 II" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "古墓丽影2" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "TR 2" -- Informal short title
- "Tomb Raider II: The Dagger of Xian" -- Informal Fan Name
- "Tomb Raider II: Estrelando Lara Croft" -- Brazilian title
Part of the Following Groups
- PlayStation Greatest Hits releases
- PlayStation Platinum Range releases
- PlayStation the Best series
- Protagonist: Female
- Setting: Chinese
- Tomb Raider series
|Lara returns with more puzzles, more adventure, and less action...||Jim Fun (222)|
|Not as great as they claim it to be.||Depth Lord (945)|
The Press Says
|PC Gameplay (Benelux)||Dec, 1997||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Action||Nov, 1997||91 out of 100||91|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Aug 15, 2001||9 out of 10||90|
|Power Play||Nov, 1997||89 out of 100||89|
|GameStar (Germany)||Nov, 1997||89 out of 100||89|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Dec 07, 2009||17 out of 20||85|
|GameSpot||Dec 15, 1997||8.2 out of 10||82|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Mar, 1998||80|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Jan 15, 1999||4 out of 5||80|
|Gamezone (Germany)||Apr 26, 2001||7 out of 10||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|What is the best Tomb Raider?||8||St. Martyne (3562)
Oct 01, 2011
|Even Ebay uses our screenshots !||6||festershinetop (9482)
Oct 30, 2008
The ProdigyThis game was responsible for the delay of the UK band The Prodigy's 3rd Album The Fat of the Land because all the band members got sidetracked playing this game on their PlayStations.
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/2008 - One of the "10 Coolest Levels" (It is the first real Tomb Raider level that isn't set in a ruin and the motorboat sequence is fun, difficult and thrilling.)
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1998 - Babe of the Year 1997 (for Lara Croft)
- 1997 (Vol.3, Iss.3) - Game of the Year
- 1997 (Vol.3, Iss.3) - Best Exploration/Adventure Game of the Year
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1998 – Best Action-Adventure in 1997
Related Web Sites
- Stella's Tomb -- Excellent Tomb Raider Fan Site. Here is the place to go for walkthroughs and some great Lara Croft art. You can even download the "Gold" add-on levels here *free* if you already own Tomb Raider 2.
- Tomb Raider Home -- The Official Tomb Raider site
- Universal Hints for Tomb Raider 2 -- If you're stuck in TR2, this is the place to go. These hints give you nudges before the final solution is revealed.
- Wikipedia: Tomb Raider II -- Information about Tomb Raider II at Wikipedia
robotriot (8641) added Tomb Raider II Starring Lara Croft (Windows) on Nov 28, 1999
Peter Duncan, Richard Morton, Jerr O'Carroll, Lee Pullen, Jean Micheal Ringworm, Christian Russell, Andrew SandhamPlay Testers: