Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

The Tone Rebellion (Windows)

3.5
Written by  :  Ran Prieur (19)
Written on  :  May 12, 2004
read more reviews by Ran Prieur

Summary

Unique, ambitious, original, not fun.

The Good

I remember when I first played Warcraft, how disappointed I was when the first scenario ended and I realized it was divided into levels or missions, instead of allowing the opening position to expand continuously into one giant game. Tone Rebellion is a rare (unique?) real-time strategy game that is not level-based. Also it's like an adventure game in that there are puzzles to solve and artifacts to collect, and its universe is strange and original.

The Bad

It's totally uncompelling. The advances give your units higher numbers and a prettier appearance, but they do not give you any new abilities, except the ability to move into new screens that play exactly like the old screens. The single exception is the spell tower which has only six lousy spells. The dazzling variety of monsters have only two ways of fighting and zero intelligence. There's nothing to look forward to except the abstract goal of winning.

The graphics are simulated 3D, but the gameplay is only one-dimensional, with short, wide screens on which the only important motion is side to side. Tactically it's as simple as computer solitaire. Once you've been through a few screens and learned how to play, it's no longer interesting.

The Bottom Line

Fun to learn, innovative, very interesting from a game design perspective, but no fun to play.