Torchlight (Windows)

Written by  :  Pixelspeech (955)
Written on  :  Jul 07, 2011
Rating  :  1.57 Stars1.57 Stars1.57 Stars1.57 Stars1.57 Stars

read more reviews by Pixelspeech

Summary

What? huh? Where? STOP IT!

The Good

At the start of the game you can choose a pet which will be your companion. Aside from just acting as a cut pet they can also be used to go back to the surface to sell items you have collected. I really liked this because this is one of those games where every fight gives you at least two new weapons and most of them are useless, so instead of going back to sell them yourself you can explore the dungeon further while your pet does all the annoying work. Just be sure to give them a fish afterwards.

The Bad

This is one of the rare games where I get lost before all the tutorials are done and lose interest before figuring out what I did wrong. I was ordered to go back into a dungeon and find a location on the Third floor. Once I got back to the right floor I just started looking for it, but everything looked exactly the same and I ended up walking in circles without noticing. I also had a quest that told me to go a library, but never quite told me where the library was, there were a lot of quests that did this and it just left me confused and annoyed after just two hours of gameplay.

When you want to fight in this game you need to click on your opponent, when you want to walk in this game you need to click on the floor. This would be alright if the enemies weren't constantly moving around, but sadly they do. I have fought at least fifty groups of enemies and every single one of them was an uncontrollable mess. You want to hit an enemy, but you end up walking towards him instead. It's also annoying when you want to cast spells because it just ignored my commands half the time. You would think this means the fighting is hard, but no, there is no challenge to this. Once the enemies stand still you just hold down the button until they die and sometimes you use a potion to keep yourself alive.

It has the same problem as Borderlands where it just feels like the game takes 1% from another game and tried to present it as its own, in this case World of Warcraft. The graphics were pretty much identical aside from a lack of light (might have been my gamma settings); you have the same interface and everything is presented the same way. It's very odd to say the least, but World of Warcraft was a really entertaining game, so you'd think a rip-off of this magnitude would be slightly entertaining, right? The answer is "no".

The writing is deliberately kept simple, so the game can focus on the action, but this is a solution I can only respect so many times. When Borderlands did it, I cheered for it and I did the same for Portal, but by now it just starts to feel like the developers are lazy. I buy a game because I want an interactive story, I don't like it when I put a disc in my computer and discover that only the interaction is inside though. One last thing: please stop teasing us with cut-scenes and dialogue, if you don't want to tell a decent story you shouldn't have to interrupt the interaction with this kind of stuff.

My final complaint is that the town is very small and there is only one, you do practically no travelling around the main world and spend most of your time in the copy & pasted dungeons instead. This made me really sad because I have to agree that underground caverns aren't that interesting and there is little to no variety in there, but in other RPG's we at least get to visit some other places like castles or meadows. It's kind of funny how the town is so dark though, it makes it feel like you're still under the ground.

The Bottom Line

I tried to came up with positive things to talk about here, but I just stared at the "good" section of this review for ten minutes before giving up and mentioning the kitty you can have as a pet. I wanted to mention the graphics, but then I remembered that was the same as World of Warcraft, I wanted to mention the combat, but remembered it wasn't challenging. In short: This game wasn't worth my time or 2.97 EUR at all.

Maybe I am just spoiled and I need to accept that not every game has a well-written story or functional controls, maybe I also should come to terms with the fact that not every game can come up with its own graphics style or interface. If I have to recommend this game to somebody, it would probably be the fans of Diablo and similar games, I warn everybody to either stay clear of this game or buy it for somebody you really hate.