Total Annihilation (Windows)

Teen
Written by  :  Steelysama (106)
Written on  :  Apr 28, 2000

read more reviews by Steelysama

Summary

An epic work of RTS genius.

The Good

Well, first the feel. From the spacious outdoor landscapes with towering heights and vast bodies of water to the stirring orchestral score, Total Annihilation feels great to play. As well, the great number and variety of units (and cool units at that) is a definite plus. And the graphics and effects are simply beautiful. But it all comes together when the mayhem starts and that is when Total Annihilation truly shines. I have never had an RTS experience like seeing my TA forces roll over the hills and crevices of the beautifully sculpted terrain and meet the enemy on the field of battle. It's inspiring.

The Bad

There are a few niggles. The biggest is that, despite the epic feel, there isn't really an epic plot to go with it. Certainly, there is a plot and the devistation of humanity (or whatever race this is, it's never clear) is a dramatic setting. But there is nothing that allows you to relate to either side or wish them to win. It is simply a matter of personal glory, which really isn't all that inspiring. Other niggles are negligable indeed. The only other one I feel I should mention is that it's hard to control when you get a lot of units.

The Bottom Line

Despite flaws, one of the greatest RTS experiences available.