was based on an idea for a game project leader Chris Taylor
first thought of at the age of 14.
has a massive base of users who customize and modify the game. Among these is a group called Swedish Yankspankers. This group developed an open source engine that plays multiplayer Total Annihilation
in full 3D. They can be reached at http://springrts.com/
was a success for Cavedog:
Seattle, WA, October 30, 1997 -- Total Annihilation, Cavedog Entertainment's groundbreaking 3-D real-time strategy game, was simultaneously launched in three languages and 14 countries on September 27, blasting more than 250,000 games into retail stores during its first month of release.
While in development, before the name Total Annihilation
was chosen, the game was referred to as Really Cool War Game
. This name was reused for an April Fool's Day joke
in 1999, when Cavedog Entertainment
supposedly had to rename all their trademarks, including the game's name, due to "a legal snafu with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office".
Information also contributed by
Rick Jones and
- 2001 – #50 Top Game of All Time
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #80 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Gamer
- 1997 or 1998 - Greatest Game Of All Time
- April 2000 - #17 in the "All-Time Top 50 Games Poll"
- April 2005 - #34 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1998 - Most Stunning Music in 1997