VooDoo Kid (Windows)

Written by  :  piltdown_man (71419)
Written on  :  Nov 15, 2011
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Good but not great

The Good

It's a point and click adventure and I'm a sucker for this type of game. I don't mind getting stuck I enjoy the challenge of working out what items to combine to create the thingumejig that completes the gizmo and so on. This is that type of game so it's starting with an advantage before I start writing.

There are the usual kind of puzzles, assemble pieces of a map, arrange pipes so water flows, place cogs so machinery works, etc. They're done well enough and are reasonably challenging.

The game's music is quite good with a different piece for each location. The artwork is also good and the controls are pretty straight forward once you've worked out what the icons mean.

I liked being able to switch between text only, voice only, and being able to use both. The voices, with one exception, are good. The butler's voice is that kind of English that only used by a butler in American TV shows, Baron Saturday is suitably piratey, the parrot is suitably parrot-like and so on.

The Bad

The game can be played as a boy or as a girl. Both have American accents and the boy's was particularly whiney, so much so that I stopped playing with this character and switched to the girl.

The game has many non-jokes in it, they really are not funny at all, and the level of humour there is seems way below the level of the puzzles within the game. My kids thought talking about such things as 'elephant snot jelly' was funny at the age of 5-6 but they wouldn't have been able to do the puzzles until they were 8-9. That's only a few years difference in real time but it's a lifetime when you're that age.

The Bottom Line

Good. There's a lot about this game that is good but nothing that made me think 'Wow! I liked that' or 'Gosh, that's different'