True wheelman jumps from one vehicle to another on the run
May 25, 2009
read more reviews by POMAH
Vin Diesel is best known for his roles in cool action blockbuster movies with smoking guns, fast chases, and beautiful women. All such items are present in this game as well. Set in Barcelona, events involve the traditions and characters of this nice city: female flamenko dancer, Dominican gangs, Romanian thugs and local mobsters, narrow and wide streets filled with architecture specific for this city along with underground subway. The plot of the game is simple, but it is shown with nice between-the-missions animations. The most memorable twists of the game itself are: an ability to change the cars - Vin Diesel (as Milo Burick) may jump from one vehicle to another not stopping them, and an ability to break other cars, sliding on the road.
There is a list of the flaws:
- Milo can't jump while he is walking/running, but he can jump from one car to another while driving;
- Milo can't swim and fly, and there is no on-water vehicles to drive as well as in-air vehicles to pilot;
- multiple side missions (Taxi, King of the Road, Anger, etc.) do not influence on main game plot anyhow;
- there is no influence of Milo's character stats (experience, fatigue, endurance, etc.) as well as the stats of the cars seem unchanged with side missions successful completion;
- some side missions may be completed successfully only with certain kinds of vehicles ("you should choose them wisely" as developers proposed), but there is no stats of the vehicles to "wisely" choose from, and the final selection is strongly based on the player's intuitive in-game experience, while driving this car or that bike;
- there is no true love story between Milo and female flamenko dancer;
- there is no true achievements to reach, and the re-playability of the game is extremely low.
The Bottom Line
The game is another GTA-clone set in Barcelona with Vin Diesel as main character. The gameplay is not boring and even funny if you like to drive the cars or bikes fast, shoot the enemies, and untwist another story about undercover "Wheelman". It may be passed fast (in two days or less) with ability to perform the side missions sometimes. Relaxing is guaranteed due to beautiful graphics, non-stop action, nice music, and memorable characters. Recommended to all GTA-oriented fans!
4 out of 5 people found this review helpful