The Whispered World (Windows)

Written by  :  Nightwalk3r (21)
Written on  :  May 11, 2010
Rating  :  4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars

read more reviews by Nightwalk3r

Summary

A wonderful adventure experience, taking you back to those times, when adventure games were among the best.

The Good

Wonderful, detailed world, difficulty is just about right, Spot is one of the best sidekicks I've ever played with in computer games, terrific soundtrack, not a short adventure by any means.

The Bad

Sadwick can be a bit too annoying with his constant complaining and whining, few of the puzzles were illogical, Sadwick's voice can irritate you, especially in the beginning, when you're not used to it, a few minor bugs that don't affect game-play too seriously.

The Bottom Line

Enter Sadwick, a clumsy, depressed clown that fails at even the most mundane tasks. And yet, he is tortured by nightmares, according to which he is the one who shall cause the end of the world. But, we are not talking about a world, similar to our own. We are talking about a fantasy, beautifully-drawn world, with all those fantasy creatures living in it.

So there, you embark on a quest to stop the world from ending, accompanied by your trusty caterpillar Spot, that changes its shape, to help you solve some puzzles. I'll just say it out loud: if there are a few modern adventure games that take you back in the 90's, this is one of them. The graphics are beautiful, and have that cartoon-like style that we all love. The music is wonderful, and only serves to deepen the fantasy experience that you will face on your quest. The sounds have also been very well done, with a small remark to Sadwick's voice, that is sometimes too irritating, as he constantly complains about things and jokes on his own account, sighs and whines (although most of the comments are funny, sometimes it is just too much whining). The puzzles are just about the right difficulty, and consist mostly of inventory-based puzzles, and using your companion, Spot, to overcome some obstacles.

As you come closer to the conclusion, there are also some more complex puzzles, but nothing that will blast your brains out :). I would also criticize the animations of Sadwick walking, or combining stuff from the inventory with something from the game world, as they sometimes look a bit crappy and absurd. Also, there were some occasions when you'd click on an object, to examine it, or you would make a choice in a conversation, and the subtitles are right, but Sadwick is talking about something completely different. For those that find it too distracting, let's hope a patch will be on its way.

Anyhow, these minor remarks do not reflect on my final opinion of the game itself; a true, classic adventure, sucking you in in its world, and never letting you go, until the conclusion (which some may find it disappointing, but to me, it was ok... I guess :))