Moby Poll: How many game soundtracks do you own?

WipEout XL (Windows)

3.3
Written by  :  Firefreak (5)
Written on  :  Jun 24, 2002

read more reviews by Firefreak

Summary

A milestone in Sci-Fi racing

The Good

I played a bit of Wipeout 1 and saw the descendants on the consoles, but Wipeout XL is for me the best one.

Being a game that supported 3D accelerators of the first wave it not only scored with it's graphics, but also with music and the physics. The physics really let you feel like you're driving, no, flying a hovercraft racer at 400 mph. Airbrakes are a maneuvering feature I always miss in all other racing games.

Also I want to mention the perfect interface; Even while steering the racer at top speed, you still know on which position you are and which power up you've got - without concentrating on the sides of the screen (and thus loosing concentration on the track) -- the digits and the power up signs have appropriate size and color to be noticed.

The Bad

- Lack of multiplayer support for the european version (Wipeout 2097, which I got)

- Being a Wipeout 2097 veteran myself now, I would like to have much more tracks

The Bottom Line

You control a hovercraft racer against 9 or 14 computer players and have to compete in two championships to gain access to a 'prototype' racer, the Piranha. Weapon and Speed upgrades help you on the track.

Wipeout is a racing game where you have to think about how to steer into the second next turn because of the speed.