Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao (Windows)

Written by  :  Eric the Sexy Pianist (4)
Written on  :  Jun 30, 2006

read more reviews by Eric the Sexy Pianist

Summary

Of all games I played, this one touched me most

The Good

Too many things!

1) Music. I love the harmonies the composer used. The sequences used in the main theme. The orchestration is great. It fits the story perfectly. Every time the story takes a turn, the music changes appropriately. For example, during a suspenseful scene, the music also becomes very tense.

2) Graphics. Typical Chinese style - old Chinese style. There is a certain celestial atmosphere, like in tales of our Dao religion. You always feel you are somewhere very high, together with those immortal Dao teachers. The graphics are very elaborate, every detail of that time period - architecture, style of clothes - everything is reflected in the graphics.

3) Gameplay. First of all: the Heavenly Book (Tianshu). This system makes us produce our own weapons, armors, equipments, accessories, etc. It makes the playing style more personal. You can choose yourself how to play. You can also trap monsters in the Book, make them help you in every battle. In every battle you can choose whether you want to kill the monsters or trap them into the Book. There are three types of energy for every character: HP, MP, and stamina. The turn-based system also has an additional strategy element, because you can see the turns of participants and can plan ahead.

4) Story. Very, very emotional and passionate. There is a historical element, you learn about Chinese history. The characters are great, each one has own personality.

The Bad

There's nothing I don't like about this game. Maybe the extreme leveling up I did... but that was because of me, I think. I am a perfectionist.

The Bottom Line

After I have played the game, it is still in my head and in my heart. If you have free time, you must go and play this game, I believe it will certainly shock your mind and bring you dream-like pleasure.