DescriptionGhosts 'N Goblins is a sideways scrolling action platformer spread over six levels, each of which must be completed within three minutes (or a life is lost), taking in forest, village, mountain and cavern settings with increasing difficulty.
Arthur the brave knight must rescue his beloved Princess from the Demon King Astaroth and his forces - amongst them are the various undead (ghosts, zombies), bats, ogres and goblins. Other challenges include moving platforms, ladders and water/fire hazards.
The player can walk left and right, jump, and is also equipped with a lance to use as a weapon. Getting hit by enemies causes Arthur to lose his armor and run around in his underpants, getting hit again will cause the player to lose a life. As in most games in this genre, the player can pick up power-ups such as daggers and bombs during the course of the game, giving the player greater firepower.
- "魔界村" -- Japanese spelling
- "Makaimura for WonderSwan" -- WonderSwan title
- "Makai-mura" -- Japanese title
- "Ghosts & Goblins" -- Alternate spelling
- "Ghost 'N Goblins" -- NES European title
Part of the Following Groups
- Classic NES / Famicom Mini / NES Classics releases
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Ghost 'N Goblins series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the WonderSwan release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
|Defunct Games||Oct 30, 2011||B-||67|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Wonderswan version should be split||2||Terok Nor (18743)
Nov 30, 2012
|C16 port - split entry?||1||Rola (7206)
Aug 23, 2012
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Ghosts 'n Goblins appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Atari ST MIDI musicThe Atari ST version has a special trick. The developers programmed the MIDI interface to play the game music. If you hook a MIDI synthesizer to the ST, the game music will play over your MIDI device.
Commodore 16 versionThe C16 port is even shorter than the C64 version, as it features only the two first levels, with simplified gameplay (one weapon, less enemy types). There's no music and no title screen picture.
Spectrum versionThe Spectrum version does not load on Spanish +2A or +3 models, as their ROM mapping is slightly different from the UK models. An unofficial patch is available however.
- Happy Computer
- 1986 - Runner-up as Action Game of the Year
- Issue 04/1987 - #5 Best Game in 1986 (Readers' Vote)
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #39 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Phil King)
Related Web Sites
- The Ghoul Realm (Fansite dedicated to the history of and information about Ghosts 'N' Goblins.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.