DescriptionAs an extension of one of the most long-running television series of all time, The X-Files, play through the eyes of Special Agent Craig Willmore, a new FBI field investigator brought in to locate missing agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully whose last location was the Everett, Washington, area. In this "movie quality" video production, characters are played by the actors and actresses from the show, including Gillian Anderson (Scully) and David Duchovny (Mulder).
As the game begins, you are given a briefing of your mission. Gather up all state-of-the-art spy tools (night vision goggles, a digital camera, PDA, lock picks, evidence kit, a standard issue revolver, handcuffs and badge) and then head out to follow their trail. As you explore the various locations, take photographs, pick up pieces of evidence and talk with people. Use your Newton PDA to access the navigational map, to make notes and send/receive e-mail. Trace telephone numbers, run background checks and license plate ids and even post an All Points Bulletin on missing persons using the computer network at your home or office. By using photo viewer software, download field photographs to the computer where they can be enlarged and studied more closely for clues.
Features include emotion icons for interjecting different tones during conversations (mean, humorous or technical) which effect the answer given. An in-game hint system, Artificial Intelligence, can be set on or off. In addition, there are multiple endings as a direct result of actions you take.
- "The X-Files: Le Jeu" -- French Title
- "The X Files" -- PSX title
- "Salaiset Kansiot" -- Finnish title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: VirtualCinema
- Inspiration: TV series
- Theme: Law enforcement
- Visual technique / style: Live-action cutscenes
- X-Files licensees
|This game could have been an episode of the real television show.||Windows||Jeanne (75508)|
|A great live-action FMV game.||Windows||Simon Skafar (69)|
|More fun than watching an episode.||PlayStation||MAT (93503)|
|A very good adventure game||Windows||James1 (240)|
|Atmospheric to say the least! The game just pulls you in!||PlayStation||Gary Mee (1)|
|Just Games Retro||Windows||Oct 07, 2007||90|
|Entertainment Weekly||Windows||Jun 19, 1998||B+||83|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Windows||Jul, 1998||81 out of 100||81|
|Absolute Playstation||PlayStation||Nov, 1999||75 out of 100||75|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Aug 05, 1998||73 out of 100||73|
|PC Action||Windows||Jul, 1998||71 out of 100||71|
|GameStar (Germany)||Windows||Jul, 1998||69 out of 100||69|
|Mega Fun||PlayStation||Sep, 1999||60 out of 100||60|
|Svenska PC Gamer||Windows||Sep, 1998||45 out of 100||45|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaIn the game, the US Army has a denied operations base in Alaska, which is used for detaining and experimenting upon aliens, while using the presence of the Aurora Borealis to camouflage the flights of alien space vessels. The supposed longitude and latitude coordinates of the secret base are displayed on the screen on two occasions.
The base is obviously located on land, since you can see the outside and can walk around the inside, and after all, the troops that attack you are not floating in water wearing diving equipment. However, it is interesting that in reality, the specified coordinates are underwater, off of Dall Island in Alaska. In a recent census, Dall Island had a population of twenty people.
Related Web Sites
- Crapshoot (A humorous review on PC Gamer)
- Hints for The X-Files Game (The hints on this site may help you solve the game)
- The X-Files Game (Hyperbole's information site about the game)
- The X-Files In-Jokes List (This site gives information on how the game relates to episodes and characters on the show. It includes a list of Easter Eggs and other interesting tidbits.)
- The X-Files Wiki (An entry about the video game adaption on the editable reference site, The X-Files Wiki, which has information not only about the game itself but about the fictional framework in which it takes place.)
- Wikipedia (Information on The X-Files Game at Wikipedia)