Burnout is the only high risk, high energy arcade style street racer on the Microsoft Xbox. No learning curve required, just pick up and play! The most spectacular crashes ever - full stop. The Burnout action will leave you sweating, short of breath and totally in shock. Hyperventilating is part of the fun. Burnout monitors your driver's heart rate: you're rewarded for near-misses and the more risks you take. Civilians steer clear!
Contributed by havoc of smeg (15634) on Sep 06, 2010.
Here, it's always rush hour.
Forget everything they teach in drivers ed. There's only one way to drive in Burnout: dangerously! In this arcade-style racing game, you'll actually be rewarded for near-misses and crashes.
Acclaim says that Burnout was inspired by some of the most memorable car chases in movie history. With dramatic crashes possible around every corner, drivers are rewarded for pushing the high-revving envelope to the extreme.
Running red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road and other real-life no-nos are a must if you want to blow by the competition. With each Near Miss (indicated at the bottom of the screen), your Boost Meter will rise. Top it out, then squeeze the R Button at the next open stretch for a turbo.
Turbos are often the only way to zip past the competition, so drive as recklessly as you can while avoiding collisions. While Burnout is pretty forgiving of sideswipes and scraping a guardrail, any serious collision will instantly reset your turbo meter.
Be sure to check out our full-length exclusive review below. This game supports Dolby Surround. For a sharper and clearer image, select the Progressive Scan option when playing on a TV set that supports that feature.
Contributed by Xoleras (66105) on May 08, 2005.
Burnout is the only high risk, high energy arcade style street racer on the Microsoft Xbox(tm). No learning curve required, just pick up and play!
- There's only one way to drive in Burnout: DANGEROUSLY. Force traffic into your opponent's path and risk a head-on collision to secure a win!
- Slide, cut close and drive into oncoming traffic and you'll be rewarded for your risk-taking.
- Crashes are based on actual crash and damage physics for the ultimate in stunning realism.
- Instant replays allow you to relive your handiwork from multiple angles, in all of its cringe-inducing, metal bashing glory.
- Incredibly advanced traffic AI: civilians try to avoid and warn you while opponents try to slam you off the road!
- Cruise the United States and Europe on 14 awsome, traffic-filled courses, through cities and into the countryside.
- Over 300 vehicles fill the streets and highways making reckless racing and wild demolition a certainty.
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound brings the roar of screeching tires and twisting metal to life.
- Analog controller compatible, so you can feel every turn, skid and crash.
New Xbox(tm) Features:
- Realtime 5.1 channel Dolby Digital audio - to bring the game alive: Hear the roar of the traffic and the crunching-metal of the crashes surround you! The power of the Xbox converts the sound and music data on the fly. True 5.1 audio - most Xbox titles don't use the center speaker of a 5.1 setup properly, Burnout does!
- HDTV and Progressive Scan support - for users with high-definition display or digital TV: Burnout is crisp and interlace-free when displayed on a High-Definition TV at 480p (NTSC version only)!
- Bump mapping on all of the road surfaces and 'Phong' specular lighting: Bump mapping is a great Xbox-specific effect - this makes the road surface look more bumpy and detailed - just like in real life.
- Per pixel specular lighting: Another great Xbox effect - this means that light falls on the road in a more realistic fashion - drive into the sun and see the glare coming off the road!
- True volumetric shadows on the environment and other vehicles: This means that the shadows in the game "fall" realistically on the environment and other vehicles as you drive past them - this makes the game more realistic-looking.
- Realtime cubic environment mapping: The body of the car realistically reflects the environment in which it is driving - again this makes the game more realistic looking.
- Improved deformation model: Making the crashes and damage look more realistic and exciting.
- True "Phong" per pixel lighting: The power of the Xbox allows a more accurate representation of the interaction of light and surfaces.
- Use of the in-built hard disk: This has allowed us to further speed up game loading times for the fastest Burnout load on any system.
- High resolution: Burnout runs at 640x480 resolution for incredibly sharp and detailed graphics.
- Anti-aliasing: Resulting in a more stable and sharp display with absolutely no shimmering or flickering.
- Tri-linear filtering: This makes textures smoother and reduces flickering.
Contributed by Xoleras (66105) on Sep 05, 2004.
The most spectacular crashes ever - period. Burnout's action will leave you sweating, short of breath and totally in shock. Hyperventilating is part of the fun.
Burnout monitors your driver's heart rate: you're rewarded for near-misses and the more risks you take. Civilians steer clear!
Game Features: (New Xbox(tm) Features)
This is no sit-down simulator! Burnout is a wild arcade racer with spectacular crashes that will leave you sweating, short of breath, and begging for more. Drive like a madman through everyday traffic: swerve into oncoming lanes, cut people off and take loads of risks - hyperventilating is part of the fun.
The more reckless you drive, the more power you score.
Force your friends into oncoming traffic.
"The BEST CRASHES EVER in a VIDEOGAME." - IGN
"HARDCORE Foot-to-the-Floor ACTION." - Console Domain
Contributed by Corn Popper (69610) on Nov 02, 2002.