How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)

Written by  :  Kartanym (10775)
Written on  :  Feb 02, 2002
read more reviews by Kartanym

Summary

Serious contender for best fighter of all time

The Good

Being a fan of Dead or Alive 2, I knew what to expect from Dead or Alive 3. And in some ways I was right. The same type of fighting styles are here, a good thing, as too much change isn't the best. And although the best control system in my mind for a game like this came from the PS2, the X-Box controls are decent enough for a fighter, so I don't have any problems here.

Graphically, DoA3 is a stunner. Not from the overall presentation of the game, which is great of course. But from the amount of detail that has been placed onto the characters and backgrounds. My favorite level (and I'm sure many will agree) is the one filled with trees. Everytime you hit a tree, leaves fall down. And the wind blows the trees here and there while you fight. Now that's what I call detail. Characters too are just as detailed. Clothes move in the breeze and flap around the character has he/she moves, and the textures on characters faces seem to have more detail then DoA2 (especially hair effects).

The graphics take center stage, there is no doubt about that. I'm glad as well, since many of the other X-Box titles didn't even come close to using the consoles true power.

The Bad

Two key elements upset me. 1) I was always distracted from fighting while watching the leaves fall to the ground. 2) My eyes hurt from sitting too close to the TV while watching the leaves fall too the ground!).

Seriously, the only thing that I feel should be improved upon in the DoA series is extra features. It's fine to have the single player game and a few multiplayer options, but there really isn't that much to keep going with for a long period of time. Tekken, for example, always has hidden extras for you to work for (Tekken Bowl and plenty of characters). I think a few more things like that would help the series go even further.

The Bottom Line

The big test for Dead or Alive 3 will come from the opposition, namely Tekken 4 and Virtua Fighter 4. Both won't appear on the X-Box for the time being, so DoA3 stands as the best on the X-Box. As for the best fighter of all time, ask me again when the above are released.

A valuable purchase and an important step in the right direction for the series to compete with long time challengers.