Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)

Written by  :  ZombieDepot (45)
Written on  :  Apr 06, 2003
read more reviews by ZombieDepot

Summary

Beautiful Fighting Game

The Good

The graphics are gorgeous, the animations and fighting styles are so fluent. Back when I got Mortal Kombat for my Super Nintendo, I never thought I'd live to see the day when graphics would be this good.

The gameplay is pretty standard, and addicting. The music and sound effects are excellent as well. There's a lot to keep you entertained for a long time, tons of different modes, a good selection of characters, a few secrets, and hundreds of moves.

The Bad

The game is real easy to wear out. After all the secrets are found, and you've unlocked every last thing, you don't really have a reason to play anymore. You've seen every move, and very little will surprise you after that point.

One thing I disliked was how the female costumes were designed. Almost every costume is slutty, and exposes a little too much for fighting.

Not directly related to the game, but I also found their advertising misleading when the game first came around. It showed only female characters fighting, and would ocassionaly cut to a couple of nerds making comments. I refused to buy the game, because I was under the impression it only had half-naked ninja women fighting each other.

The Bottom Line

Despite the sexually referenced advertising, and half-naked female character costumes, Dead or Alive 3 is a great fighting game. The graphics are beautifully done, and the game is highly addictive. The game does get boring down the line, so you may want to rent it before you buy. It's definately going to set a new standard for fighting games.