Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Written by  :  Jason Walker (1744)
Written on  :  Apr 21, 2002
Platform  :  Xbox
Rating  :  3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars

read more reviews by Jason Walker

Summary

Never before has a first generation LAUNCH title been SO good

The Good

The graphics are simply stunning, yes i KNOW its just a GeForce powered `pc` but who cares it works for me.The gameplay is simple and follows a very well defined and accepted method (Move, shoot, survive). Multiplayer rocks.

The Bad

The level design falls over in places, with it being SO repetitive that you could be going backwards for all you know (library level anyone?!?!) The graphics do stumble and slow down on occasion, but as i said this is first gen launch material here!! Just look at how different Ridge Racer and Gran Turismo are (on both PS1 and PS2)

The Bottom Line

I was very dubious about this title, when i first heard it was being put exclusive on the Xbox. However my fears were unfounded when i first played the game. It was fun, instant action and graphically stunning. The multiplayer section is just awesome, and perfect for those nights in with ya mates and a few cans of lager (although i would recommend a giant Widescreen Sony WEGA TV to play it on). I know the Xbox has a lot of `haters` but give it chance, the price drop will make it too tempting an offer to people, and with games like Halo out already on it, who can blame Microsoft for trying!