Max Payne (Xbox)

Mature
Written by  :  David Lafferty (16)
Written on  :  Jan 28, 2003
Platform  :  Xbox

read more reviews by David Lafferty

Summary

Great game the 'cartoon' strips rule.

The Good

Like I said, the 'cartoon' strips rule. I say 'cartoon' they're more like those photo cartoon strips where the action is depicted by really people rather than drawing, you'll see what I mean. But yeah, these photo strips fill in the gaps between the levels and really help move the scene along, rather like in Monty Python movies. The story line is a good one, and it does get a bit trippy (but he is stoned of his face at the time) I'm definitely a fan of "Bullet Time" this is a feature of Max Payne whereby you can slow-mo the action, but aim your weapon in 'real time' plus you can dive out of the way of incoming bullets, very Matrix.

The Bad

The graphics aren't great, more PS2 than X-Box, but that’s probably just a result of the game being rushed through production. It was after all released into a fledgling X-Box community when there where very few games on offer. But I don't hold that against it, adds character.

The Bottom Line

I may be saying this too much in my reviews, but, it is another good game, I would recommend that you buy it if you haven't already.