DescriptionIn the third installment of the Metal Slug series, General Morden is back and he plans to establish a new world order. The player guides one of the heroes: Marco, Tarma, Eri, or Fio, as they blast their way through side-scrolling levels with a unique theme, filled with countless enemies and bosses. The player has to free hostages and can ride bizarre vehicles such as camels, elephants, tanks, and robots.
In the Xbox version, additional game modes, such as Storming the Mothership and Chubby Isle Paradiso, can be unlocked upon completing the five arcade stages. A co-op mode has been included, but no online multiplayer. The only Xbox Live feature available allows the player to compare single-player scores.
There are no Xbox user screenshots for this game.
There are 146 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "合金弹头3" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "メタルスラッグ３" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|DreamStation.cc||Oct 14, 2004||8.5 out of 10||85|
|FileFactory Games / Gameworld Network||Jun 29, 2004||82 out of 100||82|
|GamesAreFun.com (GAF)||Aug 18, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|Thunderbolt Games||Jun 11, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Informer Magazine||Jul, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|IC-Games||Jan 19, 2005||80 out of 100||80|
|Armchair Empire, The||Jun 14, 2004||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Netjak||Jun 10, 2004||7.1 out of 10||71|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Oct 28, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|AceGamez||Sep 21, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentMetal Slug 3 was the last game in the Metal Slug series that was developed by SNK. The stages that are set underwater are a reference to Irem's 1993 classic, In the Hunt. This is understandable as many of SNK's Metal Slug developers originally worked for Irem.
- Metal Slug 3 features a number of references to sci-fi movies. For example, Mission 2 features a guest appearance by the Men in Black. The carnivorous alien plants in Mission 4 are a parody of the sci-fi musical comedy, The Little Shop of Horrors In Mission 5, the squid-like aliens are a homage to the movie, Independence Day. Also in Mission 5, the alien clones you face seem to parody the sci-fi movie classic, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Finally, the last boss battle seems to be slightly inspired by the ending sequence in Alien: Resurrection. One of the hostages (who also appeared in Metal Slug 2 & Metal Slug X) known as Hyakkutaro will join the fight by shooting fireballs.
References to the game
- The game is referenced in the 2012 non-fiction novel Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo. It is set in a slum in Mumbai, India and the game is described when one of the trash scavenger watches two boys play the game:
One night in late November, Sunil was in the game shed after an unprofitable day of scavenging, watching two boys at one of the red consoles play Metal Slug 3. On the video screen, guerrillas were fighting policemen and mutant lobsters in the streets of a bombed-out city.Several other games are mentioned in the book, including Bomberman, which is linked to a terrorist attack in the city.
Related Web Sites
- Metal Slug Database (Metal Slug series' fan site with detailed information)
- Wikipedia: Metal Slug 3 (Information about Metal Slug 3 at Wikipedia)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Metal Slug 3.)