How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Silent Hill 4: The Room (Xbox)

3.5
Written by  :  Jordan Owen (15)
Written on  :  Jan 16, 2006
Platform  :  Xbox
Rating  :  4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars

read more reviews by Jordan Owen

Summary

Absorbing from start to finish

The Good

This was the first Silent Hill game I've played and I really enjoyed it. Having been a fan of the survival horror genre since Alone in the Dark I've played a lot of games of this variety but this one really stood out. This is perhaps the most absorbing, disturbing, convincing games I've played in ages. The controls are simple and intuitive, the levels long and fun to explore, and there are four endings, which gives the game considerable replay value. Also, this is a pretty long game, which is nice. I'm usually able to clear a game in a little over a week and this one had me going for a solid month.

The Bad

Locking on to a desired enemy in the fight sequences can be difficult. During the last half of the game, when you get your "side kick" of sorts, it can be very difficult to get her to follow you, since she'll get stuck on things like attacking the zombies, which don't die. Also, there are lots of bats. Bats shouldn't be enemies in any video game. You'll see why.

The Bottom Line

I would say that this is not a game for the elderly or those with heart conditions. It is truely scary. However, for fans of the genre its extremely immersive, more so than most games. A really engaging world and a story that develops well along the way.