How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse (Xbox)

4.2
Written by  :  GameJunkieJim (16)
Written on  :  May 08, 2006
Platform  :  Xbox
Rating  :  4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars

read more reviews by GameJunkieJim

Summary

Must... Eat... Brains....

The Good

Built on the Halo engine, the game offers a tried and true control set, and familiar interfaces. The vehicles are easy to control, and the special moves are some of the funniest I've ever seen. The comic acting in this is spot-on, and I giggled out loud more than once. Especially during Cut-Scenes. The soundtrack is perfectly fitting for the setting, an alternate 1950's universe, where they have the future ideal seen in sci-fi comics from the era. Songs like Mr. Sandman and Lollipop add perfect atmosphere, especially when "Anachronized" and redone by current musical talent. The storyline actually has a point, and makes great use of plot devices. The only bit of gameplay that seems out of place is incredibly fun, and I won't spoil it here.

The Bad

Being built on the Halo engine means limitations based on that engine, limited mobility in some instances, graphic pop-in, and some of the physics glitches are present. Wideload did do a great job of minimizing those instances, but the do still exist. Another thing that grated on me was the grain of the graphics. I have a feeling it was done to hide minor graphic limitations, but it made certain sections of the game a chore if things were moving quickly. Don't get me wrong, this isn't generic fogging, they made it fit the context by giving it a 50's broadcast kind of filter, but it did detract from the visuals more than it helped it, in my opinion.

The Bottom Line

I would describe this game as a fun filled chomp fest. It's got great level design and buckets of gore. A must buy for anyone of the Bungie camp, as Wideload is made up of a lot of those guys, and the mentality stayed intact.

On a scale of 1-10 (yeah - cliche', I know...)

I give this an 8.5