Forums > Game Forums > BioShock > Yikes.

Indra was here (20756) on 5/15/2009 7:44 PM · Permalink · Report

After finally getting this game to run, being blown-away by the graphics. I found myself completely bored with the game after a few hours. It isn't a very a good shooter, hardly an adventure game, and someone forgot to mention "horror" in sub-genre.

Seriously, is the game worth continuing, if not storywise? Gameplay-wise, as you cannot die, butchering everyone else with the wrench seems to be the optimum tactic. :p

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/15/2009 9:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Feeling lazy, so I'm going to plagarize myself:

"I thought BioShock was a great game until it fell deep into routine. Enemies got tougher as you did, always forcing you into lengthy fights, always causing you to use the same ratio of ammo despite the fact that you were finding more of it. I basically got to the point where I was so sick of dodging security cameras and trading countless blows with mutants while looking for some piece of some objective that I was absolutely ready for the game to be over. [...] Scaling enemies that require third-generations of the same plasmids just to keep up meant that BioShock was pretty much the same game at the end that it was at the beginning."

Great twist, awesome visuals, but I can't say I'd ever play it again. In fact, I probably could have stopped after said twist.

xroox (3895) on 5/15/2009 9:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I didn't even think it was a great twist. And I was very bored of the gameplay by about the half-way point. In my opinion, there is just not enough variety in the game. There are only about five different types of splicers that you fight over and over and over again... Plus you have all the plasmids by about the 2/3rds point - The only thing left is 'upgraded' versions.

I finished the game only for the sake of completion. It's a decent game... just dull.

Hopefully, though, a passionate BioShock fan is now about to argue the defense :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/16/2009 12:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--] Hopefully, though, a passionate BioShock fan is now about to argue the defense :) [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--] Oh hai, did someone call me? =D

Seriously, though, like I said elsewhere, if you're not engaged by the story and/or the atmosphere, I have to admit Bioshock doesn't have much more to talk about. The gameplay is indeed too simplistic, and it's so easy it's insulting.

For what it's worth, I can tell you I'm replaying it right now with the patch that deactivates the Vita-Chambers, in maximum difficulty and destroying all turrets, cameras and whatnot instead of hacking them, and it does become slightly more challenging. Especially fighting the Big Daddies. I mean, at least now "dead" is "dead".

Then again, I'm doing pretty fine anyway, each Big Daddy taking me three or four tries to beat them tops, and I only have three plasmid spots and don't even have that uber-cannon thingie yet. As soon as I can carry more plasmids at once and I get ahold of that weapon, I'm afraid things will become insanely easy again =/

xroox (3895) on 5/16/2009 3:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I found the game became a bit more fun when I stopped using all vending machines. Still way too much ammo lying around, though ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/16/2009 4:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Hopefully, though, a passionate BioShock fan is now about to argue the defense :)

I'd just suggest playing it on hard difficulty level. On lower levels it's just way too easy. Otherwise it's awesome in every way. Unbelievable artistic achievement, above all. Emotional and thought-provoking. The kind of game that makes you sit back after completing it and ponder about the meaning of life, or go online and search every possible forum for philosophical discussions.

It's also really fun to play, with all those plasmids and stuff. I think it is a great shooter. They just had to call Hard difficulty Medium and add a harder difficulty level (I can't believe I'm actually saying that).

System Shock 2 on Easy is harder than Bioshock on Hard. Then again, I think SS2 was too hard.

xroox (3895) on 5/16/2009 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I do like a challenge. But as I got so bored of battling the splicers, wouldn't I just find it more boring on Hard? I played it on 'Medium' and those guys took way too many bullets before they dropped.

worldwideweird (29) on 5/16/2009 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

The best weapon in "Bioshock" BY FAR is the wrench. Pretty amazing for a game which doesn't - according to the available choice of weaponry - actually encourage close combat. Take two or three plasmids for close combat and you'll kill every splicer in the game with one, max. two hits, even at top levels where they'd all need two magazines fired with your top-upgraded machine gun.

You only need two weapons for this game: grenade launcher for big daddies (no problem) and the wrench for everything else.

Ah yes, the plot twist: I hate it when I'm forced to play as a character who is more stupid than I am. I mean, c'mon the whole thing is fishy from the first three seconds and you just HAVE to roll along since the game's creators DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER with creating alternative solutions - and in the end all that is - yikes! - "explained" (or rather camouflaged) by the plot...

The graphics are fine, yeah, but compare 'em to what you find in Oblivion.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/16/2009 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start worldwideweird wrote--]The best weapon in "Bioshock" BY FAR is the wrench. Pretty amazing for a game which doesn't - according to the available choice of weaponry - actually encourage close combat. [/Q --end worldwideweird wrote--] Seconded. I don't understand how didn't they figure the game would benefit greatly with some kind of "block" move, to make the melee combar a tad more complex.

Also, combos =D

Indra was here (20756) on 5/16/2009 8:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sizhi wrote--]I'd just suggest playing it on hard difficulty level. [/Q --end Sizhi wrote--]I am, mate. Its still remarkably boring. Gameplay sucks due to the following reasons:

• Narrow corridors. I don't know if anyone notices this, but FPS games really tend to suck when you are stuck in tight corridors. Why? Your options of evation are limited to going forward and back.
  • Nothing regenerates. First thing that killed my mood is when I noticed da blue stuff doesn't regenerate. Somewhat severly limits a persons options of security, despite the abundance of ammo.
  • One shot one kill - headshot. Apparently does not happen. Its a basic rule in all FPS games, if its a humanoid, a bullet in the ends the job. Possibly two, if wearing a kevlar helmet. So much for the "I've played a lot of shooter games," - hard option.
  • Too much detail. Its a shooter game. In a shooter game, the purpose is to shoot things. Not be distracted by the graphical atmosphere. Fine, if you're an adventure game, not fine when you have weirdos coming at you with shotguns. If there's too much detail, a player will have trouble telling the difference between that highly detailed blood-stained refrigerator and that highly detailed blood-stained refrigerator mechanic.
  • Hacked bots shoot your enemies...only when you declare them at enemies. God, this is stupid. No point in "hiding" since you have to actually shoot the enemy before that flying tin can actually helps you.
  • No inventory. My health is full. Can I not eat those potato chips right now? Can I not rely on the Vita Chamber as the ultimate solution to increase Eve?
  • For ages 12 and under, gameplay speaking.