New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (Xbox 360)

3.4
Written by  :  Pixelspeech (955)
Written on  :  May 12, 2011
Platform  :  Xbox 360
Rating  :  4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars4.29 Stars

read more reviews by Pixelspeech

Summary

Has its ups and downs

The Good

Now that Alma is an adult there is a lot more material to work with. The story is still mostly centered around her and so is the horror. With Fettel gone the producers took more time to explore Alma as a character and a human. One moment I was especially interested in was on Still Island, without wishing to spoil anything: It will crush any theory that Armacham might have been right.

The new team is a lot more interesting and there is more variety in the levels. The original F.E.A.R. took place for the most part in dark research facilities and Jin aside, your team wasn't very interesting either. Project Origin takes you to different areas and you are accompanied by a more like-able team.

The new enemies are definite keepers. There is the enemy that crawls all over the walls and ceiling, they are quite scary at first, but they are also fun to fight and even more fun to watch fighting other enemies. Those psychics are more interesting though. They just stand there pretending to be normal people, but if you get close they start freaking out and bringing corpses back to life and don't die until you put more bullets into them than a single man can carry.

I liked the few moments where you got to use the APC turret and giant robots. It was a nice change from standard gunfights and they happened just enough to stay fun. Also big-ups for putting that in the demo, that is what made me buy the full game.

The AI is still top notch and they threw out some off the annoying enemies from F.E.A.R., like the turrets and those flying things that fired lasers. It doesn't just have the same good as F.E.A.R., it has something better.

The Bad

The game is dark and I mean seriously dark. Even the flashlight is less effective and to top it off, this doesn't make the game anywhere near scarier. It just makes the game more annoying to navigate through. There was also a moment very similar to the one that made me stop playing Half-Life 2, where I had to navigate through a dark, non-linear area with constantly respawning enemies and puzzles.

It isn't near as innovative as the original. If you'd take away the awesome horror, this would just be a generic shooter with some interesting moments. I didn't expect to see just as much innovation as in the original F.E.A.R., but to me it feels like they didn't even try.

The Bottom Line

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is a good game, I like the horror and story better than in the original and there is more variation, but the lack of innovation and the constant lighting problems were a huge annoyance to me. As a shooter it is just generic and not worth it, but thanks to the horror this is still a game worth checking out for 20 or 30 euros.