Spotlight: Get up to 90% off at GOG's big fall sale on over 700 DRM-free games!

Hexic (Xbox 360)

Everyone
3.1
Written by  :  Chris Wright (99)
Written on  :  May 05, 2009
Platform  :  Xbox 360

read more reviews by Chris Wright

Summary

Colorful fun marred by frequent game-overs

The Good

The general feel and vibe to Hexic is pleasing. A subtle, futuristic soundtrack accompanies your rotating hexagons in order to achieve a 'match' -- i.e. bringing together three of the same colored pieces, which are removed from the board, a-la Tetris. If you can complete a 'flower' pattern, which seems to happen as much from happenstance as from deliberation, you get a little silver hexagon that alters the gameplay somewhat. It's like getting a Tetris -- great when it happens but it can be frustratingly elusive to achieve, once you have acquired a taste for them.

The Bad

The only problem is that after a few stages, the game starts introducing bombs. You are allowed 10 moves to try to clear them with two correspondingly-colored hexagons, or they detonate and render your game terminated. No fun at all! I was not looking for a harsh challenge when I loaded up Hexic, I just wanted to space out for a few minutes. No dice though, because you have to restart the game, and all your precious progress is lost. And by progress, I guess I mean points. It doesn't matter. The game is rather rude for interrupting your play session with its mean bombs. But I suppose the designers couldn't envision a game that doesn't put your enjoyment in frequent jeopardy. Horrible bastards.

The Bottom Line

A fun little veg-out game that is all too eager to jar you back to reality with its timed explosives. For shame. If I wanted my day ruined by bombs I'd go to Iraq.