GOG Sale: 50% off Witcher 3! 80% off D&D classic games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc)

Lost Planet 2 (Xbox 360)

Written by  :  havoc of smeg (15795)
Written on  :  Aug 10, 2010
Platform  :  Xbox 360
Rating  :  2.43 Stars2.43 Stars2.43 Stars2.43 Stars2.43 Stars

read more reviews by havoc of smeg

Disappointing and lackluster sequel.

The Good

A lot of what made Lost Planet: Extreme Condition distinct is on offer here, whether it's the mechs, guns or the Akrid, they can be found here. And it's this that really made it such a fun game to play.

The Bad

OK, first off, I should point out that I got bored with the first level. It doesn't grab you, appeal or interest you once you've finished the prologue mission (which seemingly serves no purpose, especially if you have already played the 1st Lost Planet) and then got I bored after i got past the half way mark of the first mission. But I decided to soldier on and see if it got any better. It didn't, and once i got up to the category G Akrid at the mine near the start of the second mission, the frustration kicked in. It did what I think no game should do, give you a pain in the rear boss battle without the gear you want or need. As a result, the Akrid at the mine is more of a grind than I would want, this early in the game. And bearing in mind that I didn't have it on any of the harder difficulties just adds further frustration.

Graphicly, it looks on par with the first game, which is good for the wide open snow planes from the original and this, for the jungle sections it just looks bad. And considering the jungles are tight, narrow and with a lot of vegetation, the first jungle missions failed to grab my attention. I just kept looking forward, looking for something to kill, it is so drab.

The Bottom Line

Don't expect much. Just don't. Whilst it does offer much of what you would expect from this sequel, it just doesn't click, and as a result, isn't as fun as Extreme Condition was.