DescriptionThe player's goal in Need for Speed: SHIFT is to take part in the Need for Speed World Tour and become the ultimate champion. As opposed to its predecessors, this doesn't mean racing around an open-world city with pimped cars. Instead the game is more similar to GRID with races taking place on closed city circuits or even famous race tracks like the Circuit de Spa-Franchorchamps.
At the beginning of the game, the player drives a test-round as well as a race. During this tutorial the game evaluates the player's skill and changes the realism settings accordingly ranging from the usual arcade-style controls with many driving aids to an almost realistic simulation-like driving model. Then the main game begins where the player has to successfully earn stars in order to unlock the next tier and ultimately gain access to the World Tour. Stars are earned by getting on the podium at the end of a race as well as by fulfilling certain objectives on the track. These range from simply gaining a specific amount of points in the race to more challenging objectives like driving a clean lap. Points on the other hand are earned by the player through his driving style and are separated into two groups: Precision and Aggression. While the first group honors clean sectors or driving on the race line, aggression-points are earned by hitting other cars or sliding through curves. Once the player has earned enough points (both categories are summed-up at the end of an event, he gains a level and by doing so unlocks new upgrades for his car, get's a big money bonus or receives an invite to a special race event. To keep the player even more motivated, tons of badges are waiting to be earned which are in part also the same as the available achievements/trophies. Again actions like performing 25 overtakes or winning three consecutive races are needed to earn a minor badge. If he keeps his streak up or has earned all the minor badges in one category, he earns additional badges ranging from bronze to epic.
The available events include normal races in various variations, a time attack mode, a car attack in which the player needs to be either five seconds in front of his opponent or get 1st place in order to win and drift events. The car park includes many licensed cars from normal middle to high class vehicles to high-powered racing cars which can all be bought through the money earned by winning races or leveling up. In addition the look of the car can be changed by unlocking new vinyls. Also available are extensive upgrade and tuning options allowing the player to change every detail on his car down to the tire pressure.
There are no Xbox 360 screenshots for this game.
There are 38 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "NFS:S" -- Common abbreviation
Part of the Following Groups
- Automobile: Audi TT
- Automobile: BMW M3
- Automobile: Bugatti Veyron
- Automobile: Chevrolet Camaro
- Automobile: Chevrolet Corvette
- Automobile: Dodge Viper
- Automobile: Ford Focus
- Automobile: Ford GT
- Automobile: Gumpert Apollo
- Automobile: Honda Civic
- Automobile: Honda S2000
- Automobile: Koenigsegg CCX
- Automobile: Lamborghini Gallardo
- Automobile: Lamborghini Murciélago
- Automobile: Lamborghini Reventón
- Automobile: Lotus Elise
- Automobile: Maserati MC12
- Automobile: Mazda MX-5 / Miata / Roadster
- Automobile: Mazda RX-7
- Automobile: Mazda RX-8
- Automobile: McLaren F1
- Automobile: Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
- Automobile: Mitsubishi Lancer
- Automobile: Pagani Zonda
- Automobile: Porsche 911
- Automobile: Porsche Carrera GT
- Automobile: SEAT León
- Automobile: Subaru Impreza
- Automobile: Volkswagen Golf
- Automobile: Volkswagen Scirocco
- Need for Speed series
- Physics Engine: PhysX
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
|GameSpy||Sep 15, 2009||100|
|Play.tm||Sep 30, 2009||89 out of 100||89|
|Gameswelt||Sep 15, 2009||87 out of 100||87|
|4Players.de||Sep 18, 2009||85 out of 100||85|
|Fragland.net||Sep 20, 2009||82 out of 100||82|
|Game Couch||Nov 16, 2009||80|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Sep 15, 2009||7 out of 10||70|
|Gamestyle||Sep 22, 2009||7 out of 10||70|
|GameSpot||Sep 16, 2009||7 out of 10||70|
|VideogameUK||Oct 21, 2009||6.5 out of 10||65|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesNeed for Speed: Shift appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- 2009 – #3 Best Racing Game of the Year
- Cheat Code Central
- 2009 - Best Racing Game (Cody Awards)
- GameStar Magazine
- February 5, 2009 - received the trophy "Best PC Sports/Racing Game in 2009" (Readers' vote)("GameStar/GamePro Leserpreis 2009" event)
- 2009 - received The Dramamine Award (Game of the Year Awards)
- 2009 - Best PS3 Racing Game (Editors' Choice)
- 2009 - Best PS3 Racing Game (Readers' Choice)
Related Web Sites
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Need For Speed: Shift.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.