DescriptionPrince of Persia once again resets the timeline of the series and marks the start of a new trilogy with the Prince on the search for Farah, his donkey, which is loaded with treasures beyond imagining. But after an sandstorm he falls down into a canyon and meets Elika, a princess with magical powers. She's being hunted by the army of her father and has to make her way to the temple beneath the tree of life.
But they come too late. After a brief fight against her father, he breaks the seal and by doing so unlocks the prison chamber that was kept closed by the powers of the Tree of Life. The inhabitant of that prison? Ahriman - God of Darkness. Creator of the darkness of space and the first to unleash envy and hate. Back in the days he was not satisfied with keeping only one half of the universe and after a fierce battle against his brother Ormazd, God of Light, he almost won. In a last attempt Ormazd successfully lured Ahriman into the Tree of Life, condemning him to a thousand years of pain. But Ahriman was only waiting. Waiting and planning and now that he is free, he and his minions are beginning to claim back what they lost and the only two people on the world to stop them are the Prince and Elika.
The basic gameplay remains the same as in the previous trilogy with the Prince engaging in sword fighting, wall climbing, spike dodging, puzzle solving, and more, in his quest to save the world. But opposed to the previous trilogy, the Prince neither can rewind time nor has to fight multiple enemies at a time. Instead he and Elika only face one, strong enemy every time and if the Prince is about to die because of a miscalculated jump or anyhing similar, she uses her powers and sets the Prince back to the beginning of the jumping puzzle. That is not the only thing she does. By command of the player, she also helps in fights, allows him to jump further distances by giving him a little push in the back in mid-air and shows which way to go next. Elika is also the key to bring the Tree of Life back to full strength. But to do so, she needs so-called "Seeds of Life" that are scattered all around the levels. If the player has collected enough of these, Elika will also become stronger.
Besides the enemies being stronger, more intelligent and having more special abilities, the fights play similar to the previous iterations of the series with the Prince slashing away at enemies with his sword or his gauntlet in to produce powerful combos. The gauntlet also allows the prince to slide down from solid rocks safely to the area below. The game features Quick Time Events when an enemy got a hold on the Prince and uses a cel-shaded and heavily stylized look for the characters.
There are no Xbox 360 user screenshots for this game.
There are 70 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "新波斯王子" -- Taiwan title
- "Принц Персии" -- Russian title
- "Prince of Persia Prodigy" -- Working title
- "Prince of Persia (2008)" -- Informal Title
- "PoP 2008" -- Informal Title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Scimitar
- Gameplay feature: Quick Time Events / QTEs
- Games made into comics
- Japanese PlayStation 3 game releases with full English support
- Japanese Xbox 360 game releases with full English support
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Physics Engine: Havok
- Portability Engine: Cider
- Prince of Persia series
- Setting: Middle East
- Visual technique / style: Cel shaded
|Some impressive tricks and handsome looks can't save this banal Prince.||Kaddy B. (791)|
|GameSpy||Dec 02, 2008||90|
|games xtreme||Dec 11, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|NZGamer||Dec 11, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|Game Positive||Jan 15, 2009||4 out of 5||80|
|Giant Bomb||Dec 10, 2008||80|
|Gamernode||Dec 09, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|ActionTrip||Dec 09, 2008||7.7 out of 10||77|
|TotalVideoGames (TVG)||Dec 05, 2008||7 out of 10||70|
|Gamer.nl||Dec 05, 2008||7 out of 10||70|
|Blend Games||Dec 14, 2008||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- 2008 – #5 Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2008 – #7 PS3 Game of the Year
- 2008 – Special Achievement in Art Direction Award
Related Web Sites
- Prince of Persia (Official website.)
- Review: The Mac Gamer (A review of Prince of Persia by The Mac Gamer's Alex McLarty (September 20th, 2009).)
- Something Old, Something New (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Prince of Persia with additional comments from the Creative Director.)
- Wikipedia: Prince of Persia (article in the open encyclopedia)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Prince of Persia.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.