Forums > Game Forums > Psychonauts > I hope the guy who made the final level gets fired

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/29/2008 7:58 AM · Permalink · Report

So I decided to tackle this final level in order to be able to finish the damn game already. Nothing. It's the single most frustrating thing I've ever played in my life. Unbeliavably stupid, annoying thing, in an otherwise such a magnificent game.

Protecting the f****ng kid while doing ultra-hard platform sequences is just beyond my level of tolerance.

Anyone else felt the same way about this?

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/29/2008 8:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's difficult, but not something I couldn't beat in three attempts. I guess, you're just going a wrong way about it. Getting all the 2D pictures flying around was way more difficult than simply completing the level.

Why don't you buy me airline tickets from Ukraine to China (and back) and I'll show you how it should be done? Deal? ;-)

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/29/2008 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's difficult, but not something I couldn't beat in three attempts.

I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I say that my wife and I needed about 50 times to beat it.

Why don't you buy me airline tickets from Ukraine to China (and back) and I'll show you how it should be done? Deal? ;-)

You want me to lose my job while you and I spend all the time playing games on the Wii? ;)

prymusferal (23) on 7/29/2008 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, the first time I played through Psychonauts I longed for vengeance against the last level's designer. If nothing else, I wanted to make him have to listen to the little kid's incessant crying on an endless loop... that annoyed me more than anything. The second time I played through the game, though, it was nowhere near as bad as the first. It's kind of "old school" in the sense that it's pretty difficult and requires trial and error to learn the pattern for victory.

You're right, though, it's a huge black spot on an otherwise amazing game. I'm not a fan of "protection missions" in video games in the first place, but this one is especially bad because of the vertical nature of the level -- and the fact that you're never quite sure where exactly the damned kid has hopped off to next.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/29/2008 5:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not a fan of "protection missions" in video games in the first place, but this one is especially bad because of the vertical nature of the level -- and the fact that you're never quite sure where exactly the damned kid has hopped off to next.

My feeling exactly... Anyway, we managed to beat it, and the satisfaction was great.

Indra was here (20756) on 7/29/2008 7:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--] Or simply put what he really meant was !$!%%^#$%@ [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Feel the darkness...come over to dark side, young padawan....

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/30/2008 2:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Apparently that level was so universally hated that today noone at Double Fine would take responsibility for it. I remember reading something along those lines on some interview a while ago, though god knows where's the link.

In any case, don't feel bad; for what it's worth, your wife and you are certainly not alone in your pain :P

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/30/2008 5:31 AM · Permalink · Report

The rest of the level was fortunately absolute peanuts compared to the rabbit-catching sequence. The last battles were also cool and climatic, so overall, my impression from the game didn't really suffer.

xroox (3895) on 7/30/2008 11:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Well... I was planning on playing Psychonauts next, so I have this to look forward to :D

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/31/2008 3:36 AM · Permalink · Report

It's not that bad, actually, it's just one small frustrating part. Name me a game without frustrating parts! :)

Indra was here (20756) on 8/2/2008 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]It's not that bad, actually, it's just one small frustrating part. Name me a game without frustrating parts! :) [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Hentai games. Fast forward the whole damn game. :)

Foxhack (32100) on 8/3/2008 5:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start JazzOleg wrote--]It's not that bad, actually, it's just one small frustrating part. Name me a game without frustrating parts! :) [/Q2 --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Hentai games. Fast forward the whole damn game. :) [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Um. Just get a savefile with 100% completed. Duh. ;p

Donatello (466) on 8/3/2008 7:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] [Q3 --start JazzOleg wrote--]It's not that bad, actually, it's just one small frustrating part. Name me a game without frustrating parts! :) [/Q3 --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Hentai games. Fast forward the whole damn game. :) [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Um. Just get a savefile with 100% completed. Duh. ;p [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]

Um. Download a CG pack? :)

Indra was here (20756) on 8/3/2008 8:39 AM · Permalink · Report

God you people, even cheat with hentai games? Shame on you. :p

Foxhack (32100) on 8/3/2008 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]God you people, even cheat with hentai games? Shame on you. :p [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]You can only squish boobs and click on "Put it in" so many times before getting bored, you know!

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 8/7/2008 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

You can only squish boobs and click on "Put it in" so many times before getting bored, you know!

I'm back to visit MG for one day, and the very first topic I managed to click on has already derailed into a hentai thread.

Feels good to be home :-D