DescriptionThe Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is an enhanced remake of the classic adventure game The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) about the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood to become a pirate.
The gameplay is completely identical, but has been re-mastered. It includes an updated hand-drawn art style for high resolutions with more fluent animations, an orchestral music score, full voice-overs and an in-game hint system with clues to help players who get stuck. At any time while playing, players are able to switch between the original game and the enhanced version in real-time.
There are various ways to control the game. Unlike the original game, the possible verbs for actions and the inventory are not shown constantly on the screen. In the Windows version, the mouse is used to walk around and perform the default action for objects, the cursor can be changed by using the scrolling wheel, players can press a key to bring up a box with all possible verbs (as well as the inventory) and finally certain actions are also specifically bound to the keyboard keys. Next to the regular save system, there is also an autosave function.
There are no Xbox 360 user screenshots for this game.
There are 143 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition for iPad" -- iPad title
Part of the Following Groups
- Enhanced remakes
- Game Engine: SCUMM
- Monkey Island series
- Setting: Church / Monastery
- Theme: Sea Pirates
|A Super Swashbuckling Saga||Dbchannel (83)|
|UOL Jogos||Jul 23, 2009||100|
|1UP||Jul 17, 2009||A||100|
|TeamXbox||Jul 15, 2009||9.3 out of 10||93|
|PAL Gaming Network (PALGN)||Jul 19, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Official XBox Magazine||Jul 15, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|IGN||Jul 14, 2009||8.7 out of 10||87|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jul 22, 2009||17 out of 20||85|
|GameSpot||Jul 15, 2009||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Observer||Aug 14, 2009||76 out of 100||76|
|The Review Busters||2009||7 out of 10||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- 2009 – #2 Best Xbox Live Arcade Game of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 05, 2009 - Best PC Adventure in 2009
- 2009 - Best PC Adventure Game
- 2009 - Best PC Adventure Game (Readers' Choice)
- Developer Diary (Mac) (A developer diary by Aspyr's Isaac Wankerl on the publisher's NonBlog site which discusses the porting process which brought SMI: Special Edition to the Mac. The article pays particular focus to the game's audio engine and the challenges it posed (May 04th, 2010).)
- The Circle is Complete (An Apple Games article about the Macintosh version of Monkey Island: Special Edition, with commentary being provided by original creator, designer, and writer, Ron Gilbert (May, 2005).)
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (official game website)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.)
Related Web Sites
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.