DescriptionA fighting game to end all fighting games. A sequel to Soul Blade, Soul Calibur takes place in a time inspired by a mixture of 16th-century ancient China and oriental medieval fantasies and legends.
All characters have weapons and distinct fighting styles with over 100 individual moves per character. In addition to high, mid, and low attacks, characters can hold/throw, block, and perform special attacks -- one or more of which is deemed "un-blockable" and must be avoided by ducking, jumping, or rotating around your attacker.
In addition to several locales in which to fight and alternate models/costumes per character, the Dreamcast conversion of Soul Calibur contains many additional features over the arcade coin-op, including hidden characters and locales, a campaign mode, and tournament mode. There is also a "museum" where you can view character profiles and view motion-captured martial arts demonstrations.
- "灵魂能力" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for the Xbox 360 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|ZTGameDomain||Jul, 2008||8.9 out of 10||89|
|GamePro (US)||Jul 03, 2008||4.25 out of 5||85|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Jul 04, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|GameDaily||Jul 09, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|Gamer 2.0||Jul 08, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|UOL Jogos||Jul 03, 2008||80|
|AceGamez||Jul, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|4Players.de||Jul 10, 2008||78 out of 100||78|
|1UP||Jul 02, 2008||B-||67|
|GameCola.net||Aug, 2008||6.5 out of 10||65|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ReceptionThe Dreamcast version of the game was the 2nd game in history to be given a 40/40 score by the respected game magazine Famitsu.
Version differencesIn the Korean version of the game, Mitsurugi was replaced by a Caucasian swordsman named Arthur, because the image of the samurai is not very popular with Koreans.
- February 2006 (Issue #200) - #22 in the "Greatest Games of Their Time" list
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #74 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- 1999 – Console Game of the Year
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #75 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- 411MANIA | Soul Calibur (Xbox Live Arcade) Review (Game review. (July 2008))
- 411MANIA | Soul Calibur (Xbox Live Arcade) Review  (Game review. (July 2008))
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Soul Calibur.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.